Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

WWYD? Am negotiating my return to work and just had a positive pregnancy test...

(9 Posts)
RunningGuerita Fri 22-Jul-11 09:48:30

Mother to an almost 10 month old, due to return to work in Sept. Have arranged nursery (paid deposit and signed contract) for four days a week. Work eliminated my post right before I went on maternity leave so I was always going to have to return to something different. The job we had discussed before I left and that I would like hasn't materialised. I am now being offered something else which I don't love the idea of but that I could do. And I would hope would lead in time (within 6 to 9mo) to something I would enjoy more.

Because of my age, DH and I decided we would rather run the risk of having kids "too close" together than not at all. So we started trying last month and bingo, BFP this morning. It's still very early days, so we aren't getting excited yet, but... I need to decide within the next few weeks what I do about work.

So should I:
a) return to work (4 days a week), take the job I am not crazy about but do it anyway knowing I (hopefully) won't be there long anyway? OR
b) try and negotiate redundancy (which is the other option) and enjoy being with my DD for the next few months and make the most of the time together and take the financial hit.

We don't positively absolutely need the money. But it would help. We can make it work without it and part of me thinks it is crazy to go through the upheaval of getting her settled in nursery and the stress/guilt of it all when it will be for such a short amount of time. Not to mention that I am already feeling queasy and the thought of running around town, doing nursery drops offs, managaging my job, etc. makes my head spin.

I also obviously don't love the idea of returning to work and then having to tell them within months of returning that I am off again. But then again I have been there for five years and done a good job for them. They just had a change of strategic direction and eliminated my role.

WWYD?

HarrietJones Fri 22-Jul-11 10:55:27

Would you have to return your maternity pay?

RunningGuerita Fri 22-Jul-11 12:12:00

I would hope not since I would be taking redundancy cause no mutually satisfactory role was found.

HarrietJones Fri 22-Jul-11 12:16:54

But they may say there was as in scenario A! Companies are v good as avoiding redundancy pay outs!

Sam100 Fri 22-Jul-11 12:18:05

I would go back to keep your options open for a bit longer, especially knowing that you are going to be on maternity leave again soon. Doubt very much that redundancy will be worth losing maternity pay/ holiday pay/pension contributions etc. Don't forget you can take maternity leave from 28 weeks if you want to (i think - been a while since i went on maternity leave but I went as soon as i could for the last dc!).

RunningGuerita Fri 22-Jul-11 12:55:43

HarrietJones yes my company is rubbish with redundancy but I would only be looking for my three months' notice pay (without having to work it)

Sam100 yes I was thinking this morning that I may be more refreshed for DC2 if I have gone back to work for a bit. I know that is naive as physically I will be knackered but mentally it may be nice to have had even 6 months of something else besides babies and more babies.

AGH!!!!

supergreenuk Fri 22-Jul-11 13:01:43

I would check out maternity allowance on the gov.uk site. It sounds like if you gave up work you will get it. My friend did. This may help you decide.

supergreenuk Fri 22-Jul-11 13:10:03

Maternity Allowance

If you're pregnant or have a new baby but don't qualify for Statutory Maternity Pay (SMP) from any employer, you may be able to claim Maternity Allowance (MA) through Jobcentre Plus. Find out more, including how to claim.
You may be eligible if:
you've been employed and/or self-employed for at least 26 weeks in your 'test period' (66 weeks up to and including the week before the week your baby is due) - part weeks count as full weeks

RunningGuerita Fri 22-Jul-11 13:21:15

Tks supergreenuk, I have read up on it on direct.gov.uk

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now