Talk

Advanced search

I have an interview and don't know what to do!!

(5 Posts)
Bear1984 Tue 19-Jul-11 18:06:27

I haven't been for an interview for a job in about 6 years. I really really want this job, but I'm worried! My interview has been brought forward a week before the interview date as unfortunately I am away on holiday on that particular day. So I'm already worried that they may have forgotten me by the time they see the others! So obviously want to make a great impression. But I have no idea what to do, say or wear!

I'm going to a job club tomorrow morning to see if I can get some advice on interview skills. I have printed out the job description and personal specification, and now trying to remember what I wrote in my application form as I had sent it by post and not email, which is just typical!

I'm going to buy some black trousers but unsure as to what I should wear top wise. Do I buy a white shirt or a smart top? And then should I get a jacket to go with it...

I'm also trying to think of questions they will ask. I've got a couple of ideas for examples I can use from what's required in the job description. I'm also trying to come up with a strength and weakness for myself... no idea what to say!

I also feel like I'm missing or have forgotten something that I need to consider... So any advice would be great as I'm already panicking lol.

NoMoreWasabi Tue 19-Jul-11 18:10:45

What is the job for? That will affect what it would be appropriate to wear or what they are likely to ask.

Bear1984 Tue 19-Jul-11 18:13:09

It's for a part time administrative assistant role.

NoMoreWasabi Tue 19-Jul-11 18:19:31

I would get an inexpensive suit (large supermarkets can be very good for this) and a nice blouse that isn’t white. Nothing too tight or revealing. Google interview questions and loads will come up and prepare answers. Prepare for some basic competency based questions – these are normally “tell me about a time when you [went beyond the call of duty/implemented a new procedure/identified changes that needed making/had to deal with a difficult person/that sort of thing]”. Look carefully at the job spec and consider how you meet each part (or as close as you can be) and try and bring these into your answers.

Remember to be friendly, professional, keen and show a can-do attitude. You can be clear about how you'd really love the job and work for their company. Swat up on the company and find out what you can about the management, personalities, the ethos of the place. Hope that helps a little.

Bear1984 Tue 19-Jul-11 18:35:07

Thank you NoMoreWasabi. I really appreciate that! Shall definitely do my research on them. I can't remember the last time I felt this nervous! Hopefully when I'm a bit more organised and prepared, I'll be in a better state!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now