Talk

Advanced search

Updating CV-personal interests

(16 Posts)
LaTook Tue 19-Jul-11 12:07:18

Updating my CV and am stuck on my 'personal interests'. I have two children under four so the truth is I don't have many outside interests! that are relevant to my industry anyway..

I have continued to study whilst working and raising my children so have put that I am a committed and hard working individual.

Other than that??? I enjoy going to football matches (how on earth could this be relevant to law?!) the same with music.

At present I'm on maternity leave so my life involves looking after the children trips to the park/farm etc!

I did some voluntary work-a couple of years ago now-but this was really through work (although I did give up some personal time) is this work a mention?

Any ideas?

ennistonemother Tue 19-Jul-11 12:48:26

I'm not an expert, but my last job did involve looking at CVs sometimes...

I don't think that a personal interests section is necessary really, once you've got some years of career history to talk about. Hopefully your CV as a whole will make it clear that you're hard-working and committed, so I'd not think you need to say that - I think employers will be interested in evidence of that (e.g. the studying) but not interested in you saying it, iyswim.

I would mention the studying in a section on qualifications/training (making clear that it was while raising children, if that's not already clear from context), and mention the voluntary work in the section on career history (making clear that it was voluntary and in addition to your main job).

The personal interests section is, imo, useful for people without much work experience, to demonstrate that they have done stuff other than go to school/college, but not for others. I think that the exception would be if you did something really substantial and job-relevant, or something that could be spun as job-relevant. Hth.

LaTook Tue 19-Jul-11 12:58:36

Thank you so much for replying ennistonemother that really does help

I did have a think about deleting it altogether as it just doesn't help my cv. I think i will set it out as you said as my cv is quite extensive on the work and studying front I'm not sure whether I should mention the children though-I'm going through it now-as law is not a particularly family friendly field and (unfortunately) why I'm updating my cv!

Thanks once again

flowery Tue 19-Jul-11 13:01:46

recent thread here

LaTook Tue 19-Jul-11 13:16:00

thanks so much flowery, appreciate your time, will have a look now

LaTook Tue 19-Jul-11 13:18:18

thank you flowery, as ennistonemother said also

none of my outside interests are relevant and I have more than enough studying and career to fill two pages (and no more!)

SleepySuzy Tue 19-Jul-11 13:18:23

I don't have personal interests on mine. Most important bit to me is personal statement.

LaTook Tue 19-Jul-11 15:47:36

Thanks sleepysuzy, I'm just working on the personal statement bit and surprisingly I found that part quite easy to write!

SleepySuzy Tue 19-Jul-11 15:57:21

Make sure you tailor it to the specific job and try and show some achievements.

WideAwakeMum Wed 20-Jul-11 01:57:52

I do recruitment interviews at my workplace (public sector). I never like to see personal interests on a CV, nor do I ever want to know someone's date of birth or know whether they have kids, a cat, a dog, the habit of reading or going to films etc. I have a friend who included a couple of these things on her CV once and was asked at interview 'So, just what do you understand by equal opportunities?' Voluntary work looks good though in my opinion, unless perhaps the nature of the work reveals something that you would rather not. A personal statement is helpful and professional (try to be well grounded and avoid cliches). I wish you all the very best of luck with your CV!

frostymomma Thu 21-Jul-11 22:05:36

IMO it is worth having an interests section on a cv, but keep it brief and I wouldn't be too worried about it not being relevant to the job you do. It would be completely wrong to assess someone on their interests, but often revealing something more personal about yourself can show a little of your personality and show that you are a rounded person who's not all work work work.

I have found that it usually works more in a candidate's favour rather than going against them (unless you say you support xxx football team!). Sometimes an assessor will identify with an interest that you have and subconsciously think 'that person is like me' (although best practice says they shouldn't), whether that is sport, children or basket-weaving (I'd steer clear of the latter btw, or anything too wacky for that matter).

Putting something active on your cv can show that you keep yourself fit and healthy (I've got 'a keen interest in snowboarding' on mine, even though I went once 10 years ago!). A good phrase to use is 'Time permitting, I enjoy......' - that way, you are showing that you are committed to work first and foremost.

If nothing else, it can be a talking point for the awkward lift journey at interview wink.

HTH

befuzzled Thu 21-Jul-11 22:07:30

just marking place as doing mine too

LaTook Thu 21-Jul-11 23:18:10

Thanks all for your further comments

Can I just ask then do you think I should remove my date of birth? I do realise it doesnt have to be there but I just left it ??

I did end up scrapping the personal section as I just did not know what to put : everything I could put is very outdated funny enough one interest I did have was following a football team that you would have thought has a bad reputation if you know football. (I got round this by putting I follow my home team). Another interest is travelling (true although haven't for about four years) but this is covered under part of my work experience as I also worked while travelling, including on a ski slope so that was another interest covered

In the end I just deleted it as I didn't feel it added anything to my cv but I do realise it may be best for others to leave in, and I do realise that's why people leave it there (for that 'this persons is like me ' moment)

What help do you need befuddled?

I have finished my cv now an am really rather proud of it grin

Bue Fri 22-Jul-11 10:53:54

You should remove your date of birth - it's irrelevant information and not something they would be allowed to take into consideration anyway.

SleepySuzy Fri 22-Jul-11 13:36:20

I agree with Bue

LaTook Fri 22-Jul-11 13:53:22

Wow good point thank you, will remOve it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now