Talk

Advanced search

Meeting re return to work tomorrow , what do I need to know re breastfeeding?

(12 Posts)
HarrietJones Sun 17-Jul-11 19:28:07

I'm still breastfeeding dd3. I'm returning p/t but on my full days (at least) I'll need to express to rake the pressure off if nothing else. Technically I have a lunch break when I could but often stay at desk/on phone/computer so I'd have to move somewhere else to express.
It's a new(to me) building so I'm not sure what I can suggest in terms of rooms. Lots of single rooms are already used by two people so likely to be difficult from that POV.
So I need to know what I'm entitled to before I discuss it. It's a new boss too so I don't want to be too difficult at first!

HarrietJones Mon 18-Jul-11 07:53:07

Bump. I'm leaving at 11 so any advice would be useful

noviceoftheday Mon 18-Jul-11 08:07:08

Hi, by law they have to have somewhere set aside that enables breastfeeding mothers to express.

Room: You will need a room that has a door you can lock and make sure windows have working blinds/curtains. Ideally, if you have a room out of the way eg at end of corridor as you may feel v self concious if walls are paper thin and you can hear people on both sides. Its such a sterile environment so you will want it to be comfortable so you can concentrate. If you have a blackberry/iphone take lots of photos and video footage of your dc as will help your milk let down more easily.

Milk: Ask for access to a fridge where you can leave your clearly labelled milk.

Time: when I first returned to work I used to Express twice a day - late morning and mid afternoon as those were the times that dc was feeding. Again, they have to let you do this, however, I used to catch up by eg working over lunch. I used to block book 2 half hour slots in the diary.

Your colleagues: I was very open with everyone re needing those 2 half hour sessions. If you're confident about it then it leaves less room for people to act like a tool!

Good luck!

noviceoftheday Mon 18-Jul-11 08:07:17

Hi, by law they have to have somewhere set aside that enables breastfeeding mothers to express.

Room: You will need a room that has a door you can lock and make sure windows have working blinds/curtains. Ideally, if you have a room out of the way eg at end of corridor as you may feel v self concious if walls are paper thin and you can hear people on both sides. Its such a sterile environment so you will want it to be comfortable so you can concentrate. If you have a blackberry/iphone take lots of photos and video footage of your dc as will help your milk let down more easily.

Milk: Ask for access to a fridge where you can leave your clearly labelled milk.

Time: when I first returned to work I used to Express twice a day - late morning and mid afternoon as those were the times that dc was feeding. Again, they have to let you do this, however, I used to catch up by eg working over lunch. I used to block book 2 half hour slots in the diary.

Your colleagues: I was very open with everyone re needing those 2 half hour sessions. If you're confident about it then it leaves less room for people to act like a tool!

Good luck!

HarrietJones Mon 18-Jul-11 08:34:53

Thanks. I'm quite open about bf and have fed dd a few times at work so that bit should be ok.

V nervous about meeting new boss so trying to organise my head as I'll have dd with me it needs to be straight forward!

Pudding2be Mon 18-Jul-11 08:39:36

Hi

I've just started my mat leave but my health and safety officer has already mentioned nursing while at work.

He said to me if I want to express once I return work have to provide a private space and storage facilities, I just need to let them know

HarrietJones Mon 18-Jul-11 14:07:51

Been. Main problem is the room. Have a choice of bosses office but no lock( no rooms have a lock ) or disabled toilet ( which is more of a room than just a toilet but it's still a toilet.

Grevling Mon 18-Jul-11 15:09:18

Unfortunately if that is all they have to offer there is not much you can do.

You can get www.nomadtravel.co.uk/catalog/view/catch-22-walkeasy-doorguard these which could lock a door with no lock on it.

HarrietJones Mon 18-Jul-11 15:57:56

Thanks. Its constantly on here about the employer has to but there isnt physically the space. My boss was bring generous IMO letting me have the use of her office.

Grevling Mon 18-Jul-11 19:16:52

It is but the employer doesn't have to there is lots of confusion on this topic, I've not had to deal with a new mother in the last few years so I might be rusty but......

There is no direct right to breastfeed/express at work. But it is considered best practice to help people who want to express do so.

New mothers ... should be given time off, a private room with a lock and refrigerators to store the milk.

Now those are recommendations, the wording is should not must....so you couldn't for example demand that work gets a fridge if none exists at the moment or demand they get you an office with a lock if there isn't one already.

There could be an argument that under H&S laws you must be given a fridge as its your employers duty to protect you in which case they could remove the risk by banning expressing for example. So I would always advise people to ask never demand in situations like this, most if not all employers will say yes unless they are particularly bad.

Sounds like your boss knows what to do, maybe a "DO NOT DISTURB" sign would work as well as a lock esp if the office is small.

I await to be corrected and I'm not HR expert I just implement what they tell me but that's how it was last time I checked.

HarrietJones Mon 18-Jul-11 20:16:04

I was thinking of a chair against the door. People are always wandering looking for an empty room/desk!
We aren't a small workplace. Too many people to room/desk

Grevling Tue 19-Jul-11 00:20:23

Maybe a latch bolt like you have for bathrooms etc would be cheap and easy to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now