Talk

Advanced search

Ideas on how I can earn £100 per month from home

(19 Posts)
fireboltskinny Mon 11-Jul-11 19:00:25

I'm studying with the OU part time and my hours at work have been reduced, meaning I'm £100 a month worse off.

I won't qualify for any benefits and we just cannot absorb the loss. If I can't find a way to earn the money I'll probably have to give up studying. sad

I've tried looking for p/t work locally and there is very little available unless I want to lose my weekends completely.(I already work Saturdays)

Are there any things I can do that aren't a big scam?

Geordieminx Mon 11-Jul-11 19:06:25

I know it probably sounds daft but something like dog walking/ironing/cleaning would probably be the easiest bet as you can fit it around study/family

If you look at as £25 a week it becomes more manageable. Would a car boot sale or eBay be an option? A lot of my friends reckon you can make a couple of hundred £ at a car boot, which would buy you some time?

Avon? Only really works if you know quite a few folk?

YaMaYaMa Mon 11-Jul-11 19:06:59

Could you take in ironing maybe? I've been trying to think of something to bring in about a hundred and, as i lack any actual skills, ironing is all i've come up with so far.

fireboltskinny Mon 11-Jul-11 19:12:12

Oh dog walking sounds good! I like dogs and had them growing up, but it doesn't seem right to keep one in a small terrace, so we haven't got one.

Maybe I'll ask in the the doggie section about rates etc.

Would I need to set up as some sort of sole trader? <visions of sheep skin coats and nasty paperwork> hmm

corriefan Mon 11-Jul-11 19:25:37

2 of my friends have started a cleaning business- they get about £10-12 an hour and their business is growing very quickly because they're good, ask for feedback, specified jobs etc. They can work the hours they want and it's a good workout! People will pay a decent wage for a good reliable cleaner.

fireboltskinny Mon 11-Jul-11 20:14:37

Trouble is, and I don't want to sound ungrateful, but I have 2 dc, a job and I'm studying, so what I don't need is more hassle on top iykwim.

Starting my own business would be too much for me I think.

Geordieminx Mon 11-Jul-11 20:20:37

If you advertised in your local newsagent as a dog walker then you wouldn't need to set up as a business

corriefan Mon 11-Jul-11 20:22:58

They basically clean for people through word of mouth, it's not setting up Tesco! It was easier than applying for a job, interviewing etc and they work on their tersm.

LauLauLemon Mon 11-Jul-11 21:13:44

I agree with cleaning. You can work to suit your hours (tell the client when you would be available). You can advertise in the freeads, gumtree, in newsagents and so on and gain more clients via word of mouth, particularly if you charge slightly less than £10-12 an hour.

kellysreps Sun 17-Jul-11 22:49:42

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

VivaLeBeaver Sun 17-Jul-11 23:03:18

Pampered chef? One party a week would probably get you the money. But also a bit of hassle either side of the actual party. Planning the dishes, doing the orders the next day, etc.

strawberrypink Mon 18-Jul-11 15:32:38

Hello, I have a friend that does the bodyshop parties and she works evenings or when it suits her and she says its fun and good money .I also know of another friend that does deliveries for NEXT she says thats good money. I myself do domestic cleaning and its hard work but good money i ve been doing this for 6 months.

chocolatecrispies Wed 20-Jul-11 19:41:51

Are you qualified in anything you could teach for the ou? You'd earn about £120 a month for a 30 point course and can study for free...

jabowden Thu 21-Jul-11 21:10:51

TinaY Fri 22-Jul-11 21:16:07

I was in a similar situation and just started cleaning for people. I have clients that are flexible w/ my schedule/family and there is more work than I can keep up w/!

TinaY Fri 22-Jul-11 21:17:57

PS I just started by putting up an ad on Gum Tree!

Bechine Tue 02-Aug-11 08:55:34

NikkiJF Thu 11-Aug-11 01:38:52

Have you thought about Phoenix trading? It's only £30 to join and you totally choose your own hours and a very simple plan would make up tour financial shortfall. If you want any more information please do message me smile Good luck, I hope you find something to suit you.

ret204 Tue 23-Aug-11 19:37:42

I think with all things you need to put in some work to get something back and with Christmas coming direct selling is really a great way to earn money. Just fine something that tickets your boxes in start up cost and % off income of sales. I started 1 year ago doing pamper parties and now have a great reorder business and a team of people. FINE SOMETHING YOU LOVE and the rest just happens

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now