Talk

Advanced search

Thinking of retraining but not sure what to do, thought about teacher maybe...

(7 Posts)
LonelyLinda Mon 11-Jul-11 12:12:14

but not sure how much teachers earn or what is involved in training to be a teacher. Think teacher the obvious choice for holidays etc.

I just wondered if anybody has done this and might be able to advise

BranchingOut Mon 11-Jul-11 14:05:14

Quick response, but there is loads of info out there on the web:

Do you have a degree already? This affects the training route you can take.
If you have a degree you can take a 1 year PGCE or GTP programme, if not then you are looking at a 3 or 4 year course.

Do you want to teach secondary or primary? One is about teaching your subject, the other is about teaching the whole curriculum to a particular age range.

I don't know the pay-scale off hand, but it ranges from about £24K to about £39k for a very experienced teacher, more if you take on additional responsibility.

Holidays - yes, great to work around school-age children BUT weigh that up against a very large volume of work and long hours during term time. The hours are also inflexible: there is no possibility of taking an odd day off if needed.

www.tes.co.uk
TDA - training and development agency for teachers.

LonelyLinda Mon 11-Jul-11 16:37:29

Thank you branching out, No I don't have a degree i'm afraid and since posting have looked into it a bit. It will be too long for me to train with me not having a degree, also my job pre-dc was about 20k so would prob be better off doing that and saving 5 years of stydying.

Thank you though

oneofsuesylvesterscheerios Mon 11-Jul-11 16:44:33

I think maybe if this is the first time it's occured to you, and the main reason is the holidays, and you haven't much of a clue already what it takes to be a teacher... then that might be your answer. sorry!

oneofsuesylvesterscheerios Mon 11-Jul-11 16:45:22

Have you thought about classroom assistant instead?

Oakmaiden Mon 11-Jul-11 16:54:57

Yes, I always think that if you aren't sure what you want to do and think being a teacher might be OK, then it is not the right job for you. Teaching is fantastic, but requires so much dedication that I think you have to be really driven to succeed at it.

Bue Mon 11-Jul-11 19:50:55

Agree with the others. Doesn't sound like teaching is for you at all.

What did you do before OP? What are your interests?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now