Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Has anyone applied to do a job share in a job not advertised for sharing?

(7 Posts)
Bramshott Mon 11-Jul-11 10:42:43

Does that make any sense?

I am job-hunting and there's a job I've seen advertised which is exactly the sort of thing I used to do pre-kids. However, it's in 2 parts, and 1 of them comes with 100 days a year travel which isn't practical for me.

Has anyone ever applied for 'half' a job, when it's not advertised as a job share?

MovingAndScared Mon 11-Jul-11 12:53:29

friend of mine was looking for a part time job and used to ring up employers and see if they would consider part time or job share - she got a job in the end

Finbar Mon 11-Jul-11 12:57:57

Yes I did.
The key is not to word your letter in any way that could be construed as demanding they consider you. Let them have good look at your Cv and what you can do.

I struck lucky and another applicant had written in with a similar suggestion; my advice is always to give it a go, you could be the best applicant in the pile.
However, I would be a little cautious with the one you describe though - it does seem a little unfair to expect the other half to do all the travelling and for that reason you may not get anywhere this time. But have a go.
Good luck

Bramshott Mon 11-Jul-11 13:19:50

Did you ask them first Finbar, or did you just apply?

I am tempted to draft something along the lines of "I appreciate that you are looking for one candidate for this position, but if you were in a position to consider splitting the job, I would be very interested to be considered".

The thing is, it's two very distinct parts - the job title is A & B manager, and the travel is associated with the "B" part. So if they split it in two, and I did "A" . . .

Ah, it's very unlikely, but perhaps worth a go. I am very well qualified for the job, and they may get unlucky with their applications . . .

itsastrawpoll Mon 11-Jul-11 13:21:12

LURKING WITH INTEREST

BranchingOut Mon 11-Jul-11 13:54:57

Go for it, what have you got to lose?

Finbar Mon 11-Jul-11 19:19:51

I put it in my covering letter.
I had a friend who decided not to disclose her part time limitations until she got an interview - I think this is a high risk strategy and likely to hack off your interviewers!

Think of all the ways you can reassure them about other parts of the job e.g. your proven experience/expertise and or any flexibility you might be able to offer them in other ways.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now