Advanced search

Freelance work on top of normal day job - what do I do tax-wise?

(3 Posts)
LovetheHarp Sun 10-Jul-11 21:00:47

I work for my company 3 days a week, but I was contacted recently to do a bit of work (only 10-20 hours a year or so) freelance work on top of my job.

I am looking into it, but I was wondering how would I work it out tax-wise.

Would I just put it on my tax return, but if so, how do I claim expenses on it? ie materials, petrol costs, etc? I am worried I will end up doing it virtually for free!!!!

MovingAndScared Mon 11-Jul-11 08:38:30

I think you registor as self employed and can take off expenes from that - although there might be an issues it your current employer - there is a self employed board that might help or the HMRC website is helpful

NKffffffff9ecb7ce3X1285ae3a9ca Fri 26-Aug-11 20:18:21

I'm in the same position. I did a half-day course (free) organised by HMRC (see their website for courses near you) which was really really useful. There were about 20 people on the course doing all sorts of things from book keeping to selling their own artwork to doing sewing alterations. It was a very practical intro and I was really pleased I'd done it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: