Talk

Advanced search

maternity pay entitlements for second child

(3 Posts)
ollie2 Fri 08-Jul-11 07:08:15

Hi all. I am returning to work in January after 52 weeks maternity leave. We hope to start trying for number 2 in |December but someone has told me that i need to be back at work for at least 3 months before even trying for another baby or i wont be entitled to SMP. Does anyone know the correct requirements to be entitled for maternity pay again so soon after your first child?

Cupcakeaddict Fri 08-Jul-11 09:11:12

Being on mat leave doesn't break continuity of employment so you will be entitled to smp for your second pregnancy. You don't have to wait 3 months, but you may get less SMP if you fall pg too early:

SMP is calculated on average earnings of 8 weeks before the 15th week before the baby is due. Therefore, if you received SMP for your first period of maternity leave, then your next maternity leave will be calculated using the actual amount of money you received in this time (SMP is 90% of your gross earnings, uncapped for 6 weeks and capped after that so your next lot of SMP woyld be 90% of this one) Returning to work between the two leave periods may increase the amount of SMP you receive, particularly if you can return 8 weeks before the end of the 15th week before the baby’s due (i.e. when you are about 7 weeks pregnant).

ollie2 Fri 08-Jul-11 09:14:51

Thanks for the advise. Should be ok if we start trying end of November then smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now