Talk

Advanced search

Expressing at work

(6 Posts)
nappyaddict Thu 07-Jul-11 20:46:10

What is a suitable place to express at work? Would any of these be considered suitable - toilet, locked office, locked staff room?

Also what is a suitable place to store EBM? Can it be stored in a fridge where other people's food and drink is going to be stored or should it be stored seperately as it is a bodily fluid?

cathysten Thu 07-Jul-11 20:56:48

You should be provided with a private room in which to express - absolutely not a toilet! And I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be stored in a fridge, so long as it's sealed and labelled.
The Breastfeeding network has a good pdf about breastfeeding and returning to work

www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/pdfs/Breastfeeding%20and%20Returning%20to%20Work.pdf

hth,
Cathy

thisisyesterday Thu 07-Jul-11 21:00:09

you just need a private room. NOT a toilet. eww

it can be stored in the same fridge as food and drink if you want, but will be fine in a coolbag or something- it can last hours and hours out of the fridge due to its antibac properties

nappyaddict Thu 07-Jul-11 21:44:58

Would a locked office or locked staff room be considered a private room?

It says you should have access to secure, clean refrigerators to store breast milk. I work in a restaurant. Would it be OK to store the EBM in the same fridge as food/drink that would go out to a customer or should it be in a seperate fridge?

It also says I need access to clean and wash equipment. Again can this be done in the kitchen sinks or bar sinks?

MovingAndScared Sun 10-Jul-11 10:37:42

I used a meeting room with a notice on the door - a locked office would be fine in my view
I bought a small beer fridge first time I did it to store at the the time work had only a very full rather unclean fridge
kitchen sinks would be fine - although depends how often you are doing it - I was only expressing one and took everything clean and just gave it a quick rinse

Cosmosis Thu 14-Jul-11 09:30:36

I use a spare meeting room with a do not enter notice on the door, and take in an insulated lunchbox with an ice pack. HTH.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now