Talk

Advanced search

OMG I've got an interview not had one in over 20 year... HELP !!!!!

(10 Posts)
whoknowswho Wed 29-Jun-11 12:28:36

That says it all basically. Applied for a job at a local high school in the office. I've not worked for 6 years after having DC2 and now really want to get back into it. I had quite a high powered demanding job before but really don't want to go back to that sector (or level of stress) so thought office of a high school would be perfect and term time only (just about) so suit my childcare needs. But am sooooo nervous - i'll probably fall to pieces and they'll think i'm a blithering idiot.... anybody got any good advice?

iMemoo Wed 29-Jun-11 12:30:12

I worked in a school office and during my interview they asked me to type a letter to parents. So brush up on your letter writing skills.

FranSanDisco Wed 29-Jun-11 12:37:46

Ok, I just had an interview yesterday in a school for a TA role. Although you are going for an office role they will probably ask you about divulging information and the such like to all and sundry. Of course anyone with half a brain wouldn't reveal all to anyone who asks but there you go. They may also ask you about how you bwould handle child protection issues should a child confide something to you and ask you not to tell which of course you HAVE to tell. There appears to be pretty standard type questions asked in this LA as I have been asked these questions a few times.

I keep calm by convincing myself I don't actually want the job. I got a call this morning saying I got it grin so good luck to you, fingers crossed smile.

whoknowswho Wed 29-Jun-11 12:46:15

Well done FranSan on getting yours! I also keep telling myself I don't want the job - I am actually very convincing!!!! Well done FranSan on getting yours! How many people interviewed you? For some reason that's what I'm worried about I have this vision of questions being fired at me from all directions - I am so brain dead after the DC's I just think i'll be umming and arrring all the time!

iMemoo Wed 29-Jun-11 12:52:19

My invisibilty cloak still working then.

whoknowswho Wed 29-Jun-11 13:27:45

So Sorry Imemoo!! i'm working on a screen the size of a postage stamp and saw Fransan's answer before yours. So you ACTUALLY worked in a school office then and you don't anymore???? tell me it wasn't the worst job ever and you left!! The one i've applied for is half timetable planning and half attendance monitor (that should be interesting!!!) so the role would probably involve writing to parents i'll have to brush up on my skills. Why am I so petrified about this!!!!!

iMemoo Wed 29-Jun-11 13:40:50

I'm only joking!! grin

I loved working in the school office. It was hard work but fun and very rewarding. You never have time to get bored because there is always something happening (plus you get to hear all the school gossip before everyone else grin) The only reason I left was because I wanted to stay at home for a few years after having DD. It's definitely a job I'd return to.

whoknowswho Wed 29-Jun-11 13:51:10

Thanks that's good to know! I thought it would be challenging but rewarding too. I am going to keep convincing myself I don't want the job from now til the interview (5th July!!) so I might relax a bit!!wine

FranSanDisco Wed 29-Jun-11 14:40:03

I had two interviews. The first time I had to prepare a 15 min carpet session which included a story, some labelling of farm animals and a song! Then I was observed interracting in the outdoor classroom. I was observed by the Head, Deputy Head and Class teacher. I then had a proper interview after being shortlisted. The same three people interviewed me. Quite rigorous really but they were very complimentary so I didn't make a complete dick of myself singing Old MacDonald's Farm grin.

whoknowswho Thu 30-Jun-11 15:01:35

Wow that's some interview - i'd have totally gone to pieces if I had to do anything like that!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now