Talk

Advanced search

Gone back to work P/T - should I see my DS during working hours if I can, or wait until I'm home?

(8 Posts)
SaigonSaigon Tue 28-Jun-11 12:25:52

I've gone back to work 3 days a week and I work within walking distance of my home. My MIL and Mum share childcare at the moment. They sometimes pass my workplace and I've been nipping out to say hello. DS is always pleased to see me but obviously gets a little, temporarily upset when I say goodbye again. Is it better to do this or leave them totally until the end of the day? I love seeing him sometimes during the day but I'd hate to think its having an even worse effect than waiting until I'm back properly. Would love your thoughts.

Sinkingfeeling Tue 28-Jun-11 12:44:56

Tempting as it is, I think it's better not to see your dc during your working day, as it's unsettling for both sides. You don't say how old your ds is though, but I'm presuming still tiny and not able to fully understand why you're there but then have to leave again.

SaigonSaigon Tue 28-Jun-11 12:49:41

Yes, he's 14 months old. It must be hard on him to see me & then I'm gone again, although a biscuit or raisins usually diverts his attention! I think I realise the answer to this one really, but appreciate your thoughts.

FoxyRevenger Tue 28-Jun-11 12:52:22

I am going back (tomorrow - gulp) and my daughter will be with my MIL, plus she lives 2 minutes drive from work, but I have decided to myself not to drop in.
I think it would be hard, for me and her, if I reappeared and disappeared again. I think also, once I am back in the swing of things, I might actually enjoy my 'adult' time and will be happy to keep the two separate.

SaigonSaigon Tue 28-Jun-11 13:03:50

Yes, I'm enjoying it at the mo', I must say. I guess I want the best of both worlds, but it probably isn't that fair on him. I can cope with it fine, but its probably less fine for him sad

SaigonSaigon Tue 28-Jun-11 13:04:43

Good luck Foxy Revenger with work tomorrow - it'll be fine!

Cosmosis Tue 28-Jun-11 17:08:11

My ds is with a CM 5 mins from my work, and before I started back (when he was 7m) we discussed the option of me going to see him at lunchtimes. She was more than happy for me to do that, but I decided not to as I didn’t want to disrupt him. I’m confident I made the right decision as a couple of times when I have collected him I have picked him up and then put him down to sign a holiday form or something and he has been very upset just by that – even though he is really happy when I drop off etc. I think me popping in to see him would have really confused him.

Good luck with tomorrow foxy

FoxyRevenger Tue 28-Jun-11 19:08:27

Thanks guys. I have just tried on my new work dresses and feel like an adult! Not wearing trainers in daylight hours will be a shock to the system though grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now