Talk

Advanced search

What sort of work/business could I do set up from home?

(23 Posts)
kittywalker Thu 23-Jun-11 15:45:33

DD has started a couple of days at nursery now and my other 2 dcs are at school. I am a nurse but I am not sure I want to go back but I would like to do something. SIL is about to do a nails course in the hope that she will start her own business and it's got me thinking that I wouldn't mind doing something too.

What sort of thing could I do? I don't mind having to do a little training or set out an initial outlay? All I can think of is Phoenix Cards/Usbourne books but I think there might be plenty already out there.

slipperandpjsmum Thu 23-Jun-11 15:59:49

What about reflexology. My Mum has someone who comes to her home to do it. She has a number of customers and fits the appointments around her family.

You may not like feet, although as a nurse I am sure they would not bother you!

kittywalker Thu 23-Jun-11 16:39:04

Hmmm not sure I could deal with just feet!

AvonRep89 Thu 23-Jun-11 17:04:01

What about Avon? It's relatively easy AND it's sociable...plus you get free samples of makeup and things (always a bonus)

I'm an Avon Sales Leader so if you wanted some more information or were interested in maybe becoming an Avon Rep just gimme a shout.

There's no pressure at all, hope you don't feel like i am, it's just a suggestion that's all.

Good Luck though, whatever you end up doing x x

WheresMyWaistGone Sun 26-Jun-11 17:48:25

Hi

I'm an Usborne Books Organiser and I love it! We're finding it's recession-proof and no matter how many Organisers there are in your area, there's always enough work to go round, when you consider baby groups, toddler groups, playgroups, schools, local markets...

if you'd like more info, please do pm me.

xx

2madboys Mon 27-Jun-11 09:58:02

Hi Kitty. I do Phoenix and haven't found the market too saturated. It's lots of fun.

ggirl Mon 27-Jun-11 10:03:32

If it's money you're after I would stick with keeping up your nmc registration
I gave up nursing for yrs and totally regret it.
Had to do return to practice .
Sorry if I am butting in when you've already said you are unsure about nursing. Have you thought about practice nursing , often you can get short contract hrs.
Sorry again if you're already one.

Ealingkate Mon 27-Jun-11 10:10:52

My mum does Avon , she has really enjoyed it and it has been very sociable for her. One of the mums at school does book binding from home - she had to do a course but I thought it sounded good if you like that sort of thing. (Quite creative but very flexible)

emile1973 Mon 27-Jun-11 15:33:46

Hello there
I run a jewellery business and selll at playgroups etc. It works for me and my littleones and there is a generous percentage of sales that goes to the rep and free jewellery for the hostess. I would say try a party first and get a feel.
Pm me for more info.
Good luck xx

aoliver Tue 28-Jun-11 14:06:41

Kids cooking classes? All my franchisees are mums that do a few classes in ursery hours, term time, some at home, some in a hall.

Helenagrace Tue 28-Jun-11 15:14:16

Have you thought about working from home writing reports from medical notes for clinical negligence lawyers? I did it for a short period when we relocated once. It pays about £15 per hour, usually on a self-employed basis. It helps if you have a broad range of clinical experience. At the time I had some senior hospital management eperience but also had been a nurse practitioner in MAU and a senior sister in A&E. I also had some CCU and ITU experience.

I contacted all the small law firms who did negligence work. The big firms have their own in house people.

jabowden Thu 21-Jul-11 21:53:25

I have the perfect job opportunity for you. Stella & Dot is launching in the UK in the Fall! This is really an amazing opportunity to get in on the ground floor. Visit my website: www.stelladot.com/jeribowden for more information! I wish you all the best on your search for the perfect job to have while still enjoying your time with your children. I have 3 little ones and have definitely been in your shoes. I have found this offers me the flexibility that I need to be an amazing mom while still having a business to call my own. Please message me if you have any questions! smile

Putthatbookdown Sun 07-Aug-11 22:28:24

I am looking for a business partner-this would need to be via private messaging It may interst you as it has a social value too

sonna Mon 08-Aug-11 00:37:54

I've been using this site to do market research surveys- www.ootsi.co.uk
It wont make you a fortune but it's something to do when you have a spare 20 minutes or so.
The best way to approach it is to join each survey company one by one until you reach your capacity. On a good week I can make £50+, and it beats watching re-runs of Friends at 2 in the morning when the boy wants a feed!
Definitely worth doing the prize draws too- I haven't won yet, but fingers crossed!

NikkiJF Thu 11-Aug-11 01:31:44

Hi Kitty smile

I am a secondary school teacher and I wanted to extend my maternity leave for as long as possible, so now I do Phoenix too!

The Market really isn't saturated because you start by selling cards to all your female famy and friends then it grows from there. Phoenix still only has 1% of the greeting card Market so there's still HUGE potential out there!

let me know if you want any more info ;)

ladykay Fri 12-Aug-11 14:52:21

sonna I've had a look at Ootsi, but the only one apparently offering cash (not clear yet if it actually would be) will only accept a U.S. county, and the others are offering vouchers for dodgy online bingo, not cash. What's the deal??

ladykay Fri 12-Aug-11 14:55:38

Ealingkate do you know any more about the bookbinding?? This sounds right up my street...

Beautyfm Sat 13-Aug-11 01:39:24

Hi There
I am a sales Leader with F M Cosmetics.
No outlay
No hassle just a honest work from home.

ladykay Sat 13-Aug-11 17:41:23

Aargh! Don't do Ootsi! I'm now being bombarded with lottery text stuff and they miraculously have ALL my details. What a mug.

Saffra Tue 16-Aug-11 21:37:09

I'd definitely do something that uses existing skills and/or experience. Best chance of earning a good enough income, I would think.

ret204 Tue 23-Aug-11 19:32:54

Hi
I was a TV producer so very creative, but hours and childcare made it impossible to go back to so join Temple Spa (professional skin and body products) as a Consultant over a year ago.

And wow I have more conference in myself, lost the 2nd baby weight and am getting out meeting people and earning really really good commission. There is training and study and work to build the business but its been so worth if for me. DM if you want details . There are LOADS of things out there. Just find something you could grow to love.
Good luck

scaryfairy28 Tue 23-Aug-11 21:21:44

What about teaching baby massage, you need anatomy first but you'd already have that

EmmaF83 Sun 04-Sep-11 17:18:06

Hi Kittywalker,
I've only just seen your post so I appologise for the delay in responding to it. I am an Independent Scentsy Consultant and sell a safe alternative to scented candles. Which have No Flame, No Wick and give off No Soot or Toxins so are safe arounf Children and Pets!!

You run the business how you want to and there are so many ways of working it. It is a fabulous products with excellent products that sell themselves, it was launched in 2004 in USA and is now hugh there and canada and came to us in April 2011 and is quickly expanding into Europe and Ireland soon too! It is such an excellent time to join with it being in its first year here so there is no worry over there being many people around you doing it either.

They have also just annouced an incentive trip to Las Vegas next year and all new recruits also get the chance to aim for this too - so it really is an excellent time to join. If you have a look on the web you will see how big this company is and how well it is developing!

If you would like further information please just PM me and I am more than happy to answer any of your questions & can send you a catalogue and samples etc to have a look at, you can also look me up at https://safewickfreescents.scentsy.co.uk and on facebook at www.facebook.com/EmmaFryersIndependentScentsyConsultant

I hope this has been of good use to you
All the best

Emma x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now