Talk

Advanced search

Back to work next week - what can I do to make it easier?

(6 Posts)
nicecupofteaplease Wed 22-Jun-11 20:26:21

Any tips? I've been off for three years (!), it's a new job, and I have two DCs to settle into nursery for three days a week. Am starting to hyperventilate at the thought of it.

Have already taken in nappies etc for their baskets at nursery, packed spare clothes bags for them to keep by the front door, invested in scary looking organiser for me, planned to do slow cooked meals overnight the day before my working days so nothing to do when I get home 'cept warm it up.

What else am I missing? Any heart-warming "it'll all be ok" stories would be greatly appreciated too!

Parsnippercy Wed 22-Jun-11 21:54:14

I went back at the end of May (to my old job) full time and was eased in by DH taking the week off so I only had to worry about me that week. I then had a week off (half term - I teach) to ctach my breath, before then doing it "properly" after half term. I was worried about leaving DS at nursery at 9 months but he is having a whale of a time and I feel confident in the staff, which all helps. It will be fine - you sound far more organised than me! I've really enjoyed being the old me again (not that I in any way dislike the new mum-me). I'm struggling with the demands of full time, partly because of the volume of work, but that's for another post! Good luck - and enjoy it!

Sinkingfeeling Thu 23-Jun-11 13:41:51

Look ahead in your diary to see if there are any events coming up that you could get ready for now (birthdays - buy presents, cards etc.). Use a meal planner and set up online grocery shopping if you don't already (should take my own advice here). Make sure you're well stocked up with store-cupboard basics (olive oil, pasta, rice) and things like washing powder, loo roll, pet food. Plan a treat for yourself at the end of your first week - take it a day at a time and don't worry too much about what may happen a week or a month's time.

About 18 months ago I went back to a new job (nearly f/t) after being out for 5 years (though freelance for the last 3 of those) and I love it - lots of new people to meet, interesting work to do and the best bit is a proper lunch break (usually) when I sometimes meet up with friends I hadn't caught up with properly since before the dc were born. You do sound organised - so just enjoy it now!

MovingAndScared Thu 23-Jun-11 14:32:47

Hi - if you can get someone to share drop and pick ups that can help
and do a trail run day before you start
you probably will be a bit tired first few weeks so take it easy

Parsnippercy Thu 23-Jun-11 22:25:25

Just occurred to me that the one thing my DH and I hadn't discussed was who would take time off when DS was ill - 3 days in and get the call from nursery to come and pick him up and had to negotiate there and then - would have been easier if had known what the plan was in advance.

balroymum Sat 09-Jul-11 21:41:55

Hi Parsnippercy! Hope you don't mind me messaging you but I am a teacher too and am returning for the last week of the summer term before enjoying the summer holidays then starting 'properly' in September. It sounds like you are doing well - I am feeling very anxious and upset about leaving my DH. Will we be okay?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now