Talk

Advanced search

Notice period when not going back to work...

(6 Posts)
Cupcakeaddict Fri 17-Jun-11 21:04:24

I feel a bit daft about this one... I'm basically due back at the beginning of august but I am applying for jobs. My recruitment consultant told me when we talked about my notice period that given that I was on maternity leave I could just resign and not have to give three months notice. I haven't given it much thought, just thought that was really convenient. At an interview today the person I talked to seemed really surprised so I did a bit of research and it appears I would have to give my normal notice period. Is this correct? I'm panicking as I have to return in 6 weeks but my notice would be 12 weeks!!! I dont want to resign until I get another job. Could they ask me to work it? Is there any way around it or is the only way to negotiate with them? What is the normal practice?

Thanks

flowery Sat 18-Jun-11 10:19:26

If your year mat leave will be up before your notice period is complete then yes they could certainly insist you go back and work the rest of it.

In practice many employers will negotiate on releasing you early in this situation so as soon as you are in a position to do so, speak to your manager about doing that.

Have you got holiday left that you've accrued during mat leave that you could use for part of your notice period?

xiaojree Sat 18-Jun-11 13:25:52

Message deleted

xiaojdd Sun 19-Jun-11 01:32:09

Message deleted

Cupcakeaddict Sun 19-Jun-11 17:39:57

Thanks, that's what I thought. I have about 6 weeks holidays to take, so I would really only have to come back for about 4 weeks, which would be silly. I haven't got the job yet, so will wait and see.

xiaojwww Mon 20-Jun-11 02:52:57

Message deleted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now