Talk

Advanced search

Can fellow lawyers help?

(7 Posts)
cbmum Wed 15-Jun-11 21:47:26

I'm due to return to work in August having taken my second lot of maternity leave in 3 years. On my return after my elder daughter I negotiated a 3 day working arrangement which worked well. Long story short- my now ex boss was difficult. She's now left and there have been several others leave our department too. Where I was 1 of 3 lawyers in our team at our office I will now be the only one.

At the time I went on maternity leave last year there was a threat of redundancy. Recession=less new clients etc. I've got a meeting with HR next week to discuss my return to work and they are indicating that the role is really now a full time one and the indication is to either step up my number of days or face redundancy which is not a financial option for me.

I've been told I can take a union representative with me.
But what union? I'm probably being really daft but who can I take. I dont want to take one of my colleagues as they will be put in a difficult position by HR as thus is what they've done in the past.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

mummyofonegirl Thu 16-Jun-11 10:06:12

Speak to HR and ask them for contact details of your Union. Presumably this would have been given to you when you first joined the firm (In the firm mannual???)

I think you are right to opt for an external rep rather than another collegue. They will see that you are serious about your true options.

Good luck

Caddie08 Thu 16-Jun-11 13:53:07

contact the law society - they'll be able to put you in touch with the right people.

HappyAsIAm Thu 16-Jun-11 21:25:59

The Law Society will be able to tell you where to go. I think they have advisers there for similar situations. Good luck - I am always amazed at how law firms behave in situations like this.

weaselbudge Fri 17-Jun-11 14:51:11

hmmm if you were already working a 3 day week before you went on leave they have to give you your job back on the same terms as before (i.e. 3 days).
So is the meeting they've invited you to a redundancy consultation meeting? I'm sure you know as a lawyer that if they select you for redundancy on the basis you are a part time worker this could be indirect sex discrim plus you have extra protection against redundancy if you are currently on mat leave. .
Any luck with law soc? I think that firms only have to allow you a choice of colleague or union rep by law (does law soc count as union rep?). What about a colleague from another department?

xiaojwww Mon 20-Jun-11 02:53:19

Message deleted

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Mon 20-Jun-11 07:31:52

Whilst not in this area myself my sil is, I am amazed at sone of the stories she tells me about how they behave. The law society sounds like the best place to me too as regardless of the law I know you have to play the game right also. You are protected in returning to work on the same conditions, in fact think the wording is no less favourable. The employment issues section on here has some brillant hr bods so might be worth reposting there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now