Talk

Advanced search

Should I even go to this interview??

(20 Posts)
hecklephone Wed 15-Jun-11 13:41:04

Been looking for a job for a while now, background in journalism/media and meantime have been doing a few (very few) hours of publicity and marketing work from home for a friend's organisation. I applied for a magazine journalism post which came up - it's local and a journalism job but also temporary (described as 6 months initially) and full time. I've only ever been part time since DD1 was born almost 5 years ago and that has suited me pretty well before.

At the moment I'm getting really fed up of being at home - am getting desperate for work. Luckily my MIL has just retired and is willing to take on some childcare. DD1 is also starting school in August. DD2 is currently 16 months.

So - I've got an interview for the magazine post and have to prepare some copy plus a 5 minute powerpoint presentation on what I've written by Friday afternoon.

Is it worth the hassle?? I've never done a Powerpoint presentation and have very little time to tackle all this before the deadline. Friday is currently my work day, so I also have to squeeze in the publicity work I usually do.

I guess I just don't know if I would take the job if it was offered because of the full-time thing. On one hand I'm daunted by the idea of how busy it would make life and by how much guilt I'd probably feel about leaving DD2 so much. On the other hand, we could really use the money and perhaps if it realy is only for 6 months it would be worth it for the experience and possible contacts it would give me.

Is it worth the time and effort to prep for this, when a) I'm not certain I'll ace the interview anyway and b)even if it was offered I'm rather uncertain about the FT hours?

Last week I was so fed up I reckoned if someone came along and offered me a full time job I would take it - now I just don't know what to do?!?

MovingAndScared Wed 15-Jun-11 14:28:48

I think its would be good practice - and its just nerves talking -
have you done presentations before at all - power point is pretty straighforward -

Mumelie Wed 15-Jun-11 15:31:16

Go for it (the interview I mean). Movingandscared is right, its only nerves talking. Even if you are offered the job you do not have to take it. Maybe you could negotiate shorter working hours or flexi time? Struggling with a similar problem myself at the moment but not been offered an interview as yet. Looking for full time after 8 years with kids confused

hecklephone Wed 15-Jun-11 17:43:01

Thanks Moving and Mumelie. I'm not sure it is nerves - I'm usually pretty calm about these sorts of things but it has been a while since I've had to 'present' anything and my brain feels seriously seized up at the moment! I think what I'm more worried about is, is it worth my time, of which I have not a great deal?!

I had another fairly big interview recently and built it all up in my mind, even though the circumstances of the job, again, weren't ideal. Perhaps I just don't want the big anti-climax after putting in a lot of effort?

Mumelie Thu 16-Jun-11 18:50:46

How did it go at the interview?

hecklephone Fri 17-Jun-11 06:57:11

Mumelie thanks for asking, I'm still busy prepping - the work needs to be in by this afternoon, then iv itself is on Monday afternoon. I've had some inspiration when it comes to what to write and am just going to go for it and not worry too much beforehand about the full time thing. It's rare that a decent job in my profession would come up locally so I'd be daft not to even try.

I'll let u know how it goes after Monday! [slightly trembling emote] smile

Mumelie Fri 17-Jun-11 10:15:45

Good luck, fingers crossed for you smile

hecklephone Mon 20-Jun-11 13:23:26

I don't know if anyone will be reading this before I go but I need to post to get it out of my head.

I'm sitting here in my pigsty of a house which I never have time to clean properly, I can smell dd2's vomit from last night off the carpet, she's still running a temp today, dd1 has just thrown the most massive wobbly, screaming and all, before going off with her gran. And now I have to get my head in the right place for an interview for a full time job which I may or may not even want. What the hell am I doing? sad

ApuskiDusky Mon 20-Jun-11 13:31:33

Try to forget about the carnage and just focus on the interview - no second guessing whether you want it, that can wait - for now you just need to concentrate on giving a good impression - think of your professional pride, and focus!

Good luck!

(Am in a similar PT/FT dilemma here, hence me reading the thread).

hecklephone Mon 20-Jun-11 14:11:18

Thanks apuski! Am dressed, ready to go. Brain in gear - I think. Will let u know how it goes...

Mumelie Mon 20-Jun-11 18:51:50

Just think, if you get that full time job and take it, you can pay someone else to clean your house grin.
Hope it went well.

hecklephone Mon 20-Jun-11 20:29:04

Mumelie one can only dream grin ...although this place is so awful I think I'd need to clean before the cleaner came! hmm

So the interview was fine I think. Bit fumbly on the first question which I thought was a bit woolly but gave reasonable answers after that I think. Should know either way later in the week.

ApuskiDusky Mon 20-Jun-11 20:47:54

Good to hear it went OK, fingers crossed. Now you need to work out if you would take it!!

Mumelie Tue 21-Jun-11 10:41:39

Glad it went well. Do you feel like you would like the job now if it were offered?

hecklephone Fri 24-Jun-11 07:54:24

Just posting to say I'm still waiting to hear...

I think that's probably a sign I havent got it. Mumelie I'm not sure - I honestly didn't come away feeling strongly either way - I was hoping for a gut instinct! And have been to-ing and fro-ing since then. Let's hope today will put me out of my misery!

hecklephone Wed 29-Jun-11 20:24:23

Just a note (in case anyone's still watching) to say I didn't get the job. I'm slightly disappointed - I think I may well have given it a go, for the experience and for the much-needed boost it would have given our bank balance. But it could have been very complicated and now I don't have to agonise over the decision. I am still desperate for work, but I guess it won't be this job!

Thanks all for your comments and advice - much appreciated smile

Sinkingfeeling Wed 29-Jun-11 23:00:58

Sorry to hear that, heckle - perhaps a better job is just around the corner. Did you ask for feedback on your application and interview?

hecklephone Thu 30-Jun-11 16:25:48

Sinking I didn't - mainly because the rejection letter itself was very positive. It seemed well worded rather than the standard 'we are sorry to tell you blah blah' IYKWIM. Said it was a difficult decision because I had performed well at interview, feedback was positive and they would encourage me to apply for other positions with the company. So it was a very nice let-down, in a way! Nicest rejection I've ever had at any rate smile

Sinkingfeeling Thu 30-Jun-11 18:55:48

A positive rejection - that sounds pretty good actually! I had one of those about 10 years ago and I'm now working for that company, so it can all work out well in the end. Onwards and upwards ...

Mumelie Thu 30-Jun-11 19:22:10

Thats a shame heckle but was good experiance and I'm sure you will get something very very soon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now