Talk

Advanced search

Do I need a law degree to teach law?

(7 Posts)
fatfingers Fri 10-Jun-11 18:47:34

My career was in criminal justice until last year when I moved into education. My degree is in Criminal Justice (which includes a law module). The school I am working in is looking for a law teacher (GCSE and A Level). I will be on maternity leave next academic year but I would like to put myself forward for this job when I return if I could get a GTP place. Would this even be a possibility given that my degree is not actually in Law or will I have to do a conversion course?

DaisySteiner Fri 10-Jun-11 18:51:59

Not a teacher, but my dad is and I know he taught Psychology A Level despite not having a degree in this (or anything like it actually!)

LCarbury Fri 10-Jun-11 22:49:50

I always thought that to teach A level you needed an A level or higher. I'm sure your law module could carry equal weight with an A level, especially as you have the rest of the degree with it. Apply, good luck!

fatfingers Sat 11-Jun-11 07:16:54

Thanks both. I will raise the issue at school next week then grin. There is a possibility I could do a Law conversion course next year while I am on ML but seems a lot of money to spend if it isn't necessary. I am also unsure whether I will get on a GTP course to teach Law with the degree I have - I guess I will ring them up on Monday and ask.

sassyTHEFIRST Sat 11-Jun-11 07:25:42

My degree is American Studies; I have aaiainly PGCE in English and have taught it for 12 years. In my dept there is another American Studies graduate, a couple with Creative Arts types, a Creative writing graduate etc. You get the picture.

It would certainly be worth approaching your school. Be warned though, GTP places are few and far between.

fatfingers Sun 12-Jun-11 14:44:42

Thanks sassy. I am now doubting whether I would get a gtp place for a non-curriculum subject like law anyway. Plan to ring some unis tomorrow and see what they say. I'm pretty sure school would employ me as an unqualified teacher but I can't afford to do that for longer than a year so if I can't get on a gtp I'll have to shelve the whole idea I guess. Wish my degree was in something a bit less specific...

Cupcakeaddict Sun 12-Jun-11 17:01:46

I'm not sure whether this applies to Law, but check these "refresher"'s courses for GTT:
www.gttr.ac.uk/students/beforeyouapply/coursetypes/skecourses

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: