Talk

Advanced search

Question re: CV

(5 Posts)
TakeMeDrunkImHome Fri 10-Jun-11 09:24:08

Hi,

Can anyone advise; applying for a job today, last job was working for my Ex in his business so I didn't go through the submitting a CV/interview stage. My question is - how far back do you go with job history on a CV? It has been a while since I have put one together and i'm not sure how far back I need to go! I can't imagine they will be interested in jobs I had in 1998/1999 (when i left college) so where do you start? Thanks for any advice.

Slambang Fri 10-Jun-11 09:28:26

Go back as far as you need to to show the relevant skills for the job you're aiming at. ie if you are applying to be a squirrel tamer and you last tamed a squirrel 15 years ago - go back that far. If you have been taming squirrels every year for the last ten years using the same skills and with no additional responsibilities then just go back about 5 to 10 years, pulling out the relevant skills for the job you want.

TakeMeDrunkImHome Fri 10-Jun-11 09:33:07

Ah you have seen the squirrel taming job advertised have you grin

Thanks for advice.

MovingAndScared Fri 10-Jun-11 09:42:17

I do think though you should avoid having unexplained gaps on your CV- so if you have a lot of different jobs at that time - which are not relevant but perhaps similar you could bunch them up a bit - eg 1998-1999 varoius junior gardening roles - if they are not relevant but wouldn't clutter your CV up too much I would be inclinded just to put the role, the organisation and the dates

TakeMeDrunkImHome Fri 10-Jun-11 09:44:23

Good point Moving - I have a period of going through 3 jobs in 2 years shock blush which I think I will lump together as "temping". Naughty but I'm not going into all the reasons for that particular couple of years with a new employer and it isn't like I was dismissed or anything hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now