Talk

Advanced search

How soon to return to work?

(5 Posts)
Marabou Thu 09-Jun-11 20:00:23

My DS is 1 month old today and I'm thinking of going back to work part-time and to mainly work from home. I've yet to apply, but the plan would be to work 3.5h every day from home and then one full day at the office. My DH would stay home with DS on the day that I would go to work in the office.

As I said it's all on the application stage yet, but I would need to state when I wish to return and I was hoping someone might be able to help me decide this. As it's my first child, I'm a bit uncertain as to when it is still too soon to return to work.. I was thinking to go back when he's 3 or 4 months, but I'm concerned it might still be too soon..? I realise it all probably depends on the individual (both child and mother), but perhaps someone has some experience on this in terms of baby's sleep patterns etc.

Avantia Thu 09-Jun-11 23:37:38

I dont think you can base you return to work on baby's sleep patterns - every child is different .

You will not get total peace and quiet for 3.5hrs per day to get work done - ans as they get older they will be on the move and you will need eyes in back of your head and less slepp during day .

It is an indivdual choice and no one can say what the best time is for you to go back ,but I would seriosuly have a think how you will get 3.5hrs of uninterrupted peace and quiet for you to work each day .

cat64 Thu 09-Jun-11 23:48:33

Message withdrawn

MovingAndScared Fri 10-Jun-11 09:49:33

Hmm - if you have enough energy to apply for a job at this stage I guess your baby is sleeping quite alot at the moment -and that you are coping well with parenthood - that said the sleeping may change however or it may not
as other poster said 3.5 hours a day would be a lot to find without any childcare - would you need to make phone calls etc as babies always seem to wake up the most inconvient time
me personally I would wait until 6 months -especially if you are breastfeeding
are you in the UK as you should be getting some maternity pay up till 9 months

sarahloula Sun 12-Jun-11 16:29:15

My baby girl is 8 weeks old and I will be returning to work full time when my baby is 5 months old. I am lucky in that my husband works from home a lot and my sister and mum are happy to help out. I will miss her terribly but love my job and as I work in a school have good holidays. I agonised over my decision as I want to be a good mum but I'm hoping I can have the best of both worlds.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: