Advanced search

Qualified Teacher returning to work - retraining?

(7 Posts)
bollanda Wed 08-Jun-11 21:19:04

Hi, I left my career as a primary school teacher over 10 years ago, but am now looking to return into teaching. I understand that my teaching B.ED degree, will now possibly not be valid again until I have had some re-training, as I left over 5 years ago. Has anyone been in the same situation and had to re-train. If so, do you know who I should be able to contact to arrange such training?

Many thanks

MovingAndScared Wed 08-Jun-11 21:51:04

I know its excists - know someone who is doing it - TDA ?

kalo12 Wed 08-Jun-11 21:52:04

you could always do supply and then get lots of training courses for free.

Grockle Wed 08-Jun-11 22:00:44

I found it impossible to find info on this and went back to work as a TA. Within 6 weeks, I was employed as a teacher (complicated situation). Several people at my school got their jobs the same way.

NonnoMum Wed 08-Jun-11 22:03:48

Look at local colleges (university?) to see if they have"returners to teaching course". About 10 weeks or so I think.

Bue Thu 09-Jun-11 19:06:06

I don't think there's a required course bollanda, I know there's some sort of return to teaching course you can do to help you get up to date with the current ways of doing things, but I'm almost sure it's entirely optional. And I'm sure your degree doesn't expire.

Are you still registered?

strawberryjelly Sun 12-Jun-11 09:07:04

Most LEAs offer Returners courses via their teachers' centres. Contact your local county council education dept.

Otherwise do as suggested- register for supply.

10 yrs out is not actually that long. I did supply after a 20 yr ga p in schools and changed age ranges at the same time- used to teach secondary and did primary supply after doing a bit of reading volunteering.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: