Talk

Advanced search

What do you think to my personal profile (for CV)?

(14 Posts)
threefeethighandrising Mon 06-Jun-11 13:55:04

I'm writing a CV as I'm after a particular job.
After many goes, here's what I've got for my personal profile.
What do you think?

"With several years’ web, marketing and administration experience, I am an extremely competent, capable and reliable employee. Friendly, intelligent and level-headed, I am a supportive team member who is comfortable with managing a varied and demanding workload.

I am currently undertaking a Digital Media BA as a mature student and looking for web-related part-time or freelance work in [my area]."

Good or corporate twaddle?

Any advice appreciated!

TIA smile

threefeethighandrising Mon 06-Jun-11 14:25:00

anyone?

roundandroundincircles Mon 06-Jun-11 14:33:42

I think it looks a bit impersonal, sort of like you are quoting the job advert back. Can you add any achievements/ examples to back up what you say? I know it's only your profile so you wouldn't want to go into too much detail but something to make it stand out.
I used to be in recruitment for a big firm and had loads of profiles all very similar along the same lines.

threefeethighandrising Mon 06-Jun-11 14:46:15

Thanks roundandroundincircles. Fair comment!
I've put a lot of work into the CV and I've run out of steam a bit now I think!

I've included achievements in the CV already, but I'll have a think about how to change this bit,

cornflakegirl Mon 06-Jun-11 15:22:37

I think it reads well. What level of job are you looking for? Because capable, reliable, friendly, level-headed, team-player, comfortable are the key words that reach me, rather than extremely competent, intelligent and demanding workload. Which is your key message? If you're going for the former, then I think it's fine.

threefeethighandrising Mon 06-Jun-11 15:48:43

Hi cornflakegirl thanks for your thoughts I appreciate it.

It's a web / marketing assistant role that I'm over qualified for but really want (I'll enjoy the work and the conditions are perfect).

My key message is employ me! Only joking.

What I'm trying to get over is that I can do the job with my eyes shut but it's the kind of thing I really enjoy and they'd be crazy not to employ me. Does it say that to you? wink

cornflakegirl Mon 06-Jun-11 16:09:56

Yeah, my thought was that it sounded like you were going for something like an executive PA role, but I didn't see how that fitted with the web-related thing. So yes, I think it's just right.

Have you thought about how to explain in your covering letter or CV why you are applying for a job that you're over-qualified for?

threefeethighandrising Mon 06-Jun-11 16:54:27

I've said in my letter that it would compliment my studies well, which is true. However it's also because of the conditions (part-time, just for the summer). I didn't think I'd find anything web-related on those terms, so if I don't get this I'll probably end up doing something marketing / admin based as that's what's available on a temp basis round here. I'd much rather work with the web though. I'll explain that (hopefully more eloquently!) at interview.

Does this sound any better by the way? (Think I might be just fiddling now!)

"With several years’ web, marketing and administration experience, I am an extremely competent, capable and reliable employee. Friendly, intelligent and level-headed, I am a supportive team member and enthusiastic about working with the web.

I am currently undertaking a Digital Media BA as a mature student and looking for web-related part-time or freelance work in East Sussex."

cornflakegirl Mon 06-Jun-11 17:16:27

Ah, if it's a temp job, probably not so much of an issue anyway - in fact, overqualified could work in your favour if it means that you'll pick everything up really quickly.

I prefer the first version of your profile.

threefeethighandrising Mon 06-Jun-11 19:14:14

Thanks cornflake girl smile

Time to stop fiddling and send it off I think!

cornflakegirl Tue 07-Jun-11 13:18:25

Let us know how you get on!

fgaaagh Tue 07-Jun-11 13:59:57

It's quite generic, is the thing that leaps out at me. it's not targetted to the role you're applying for.

"several years’ web, marketing and administration experience"

web experience are you a website designer or a developer, implement the backend databases, or do you do web copywriting, or do you just maintain the content?

marketing - do you mean online marketing, as in SEO or conversion rate optimisation and management of paid budget?

administration - you mean as in a PA, secretary skills, minute taking, etc?

Tailor, tailor, tailor, to each application you're submitting, is my advice.

I'm not sure what kind of job you're wanting to apply for based on that wording.

And I speak as an employee who works in a marketing dept (traditional), my brother runs his own SEO agency (internet / digital marketing) and my DH is a programmer. So despite being familiar with the skills you're talking about, I don't know the scope of your skills for the target job, IYSWIM.

fgaaagh Tue 07-Jun-11 14:02:34

Oh yes meant to quote the last bit too: "looking for web-related part-time or freelance work" - you should be saying that you're looking to gain experience in something which meets the target's organisation.

E.g. if you're applying to get some part time work in Amazon's search engine optimisation team, say you want experience at the cutting edge of technoloy... something about competition.. world leader.

Or if you're applying to your local 5-man band web development agency, say you want experience in a tight-knit environment where you can contribute + hit the ground running.

I don't have time to give more examples because my laptop is dying, but i hope that illustrates the earlier comments about it being quite "general"... smile

threefeethighandrising Tue 14-Jun-11 12:49:27

Thanks for your help everyone. I agree it did sound very generic! I tried to make it a bit more human. all done and dusted now, so fingers crossed grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: