Talk

Advanced search

How do I phrase the bit on my CV about spending the last 6 years wiping bottoms and singing nursery rhymes?

(16 Posts)
allhailtheaubergine Sun 29-May-11 08:19:29

I feel very positive about the time I have spent at home with my young children. But every way I try to phrase it, I think it comes across as defensive.

We've had a really busy time - we have moved country twice, I have done various personal projects (not useful to work though). I feel like I have learned so much and become a much more useful and reliable employee than I was pre-babies.

It has not been time wasted - how do I phrase it on my CV?

voodoomunkee Sun 29-May-11 08:23:04

Hiya, perhaps say 'home maker?' Demonstrates time management, resourcefulness, calmness (mostly smile) and that you are a responsible person! I bet it isn't as bas as you think it looks and you certainly won't be the only person that has this on your c.v. Have you volunteered at any parent/toddler groups/schools? Anything like this can be a very positive thing too. If you haven't don't worry! Good luck hth x

FannyFifer Sun 29-May-11 08:29:25

Home maker? Cringe. Actually don't know what I would put, usually just writing raising family, although I remain on my agencies books and do an odd shift so that covers me as being employed

mynameis Sun 29-May-11 08:32:11

Career break whilst raising children?

Guitargirl Sun 29-May-11 08:34:56

I would agree with mynameis, just say it like it is. Anyone with children or with any common sense is going to know what this involves.

allhailtheaubergine Sun 29-May-11 08:38:33

I've called it "Time spent at home with young family" but then I need a sentence or two underneath saying what I did. Or do I? Maybe I just leave it at that. But that does seem to belittle it all. It's not like I've sat on the sofa watching daytime tv for 6 years. I could list the things I've done. Actually, I have run playgroups and been on courses and stuff, now I think of it.

And moving country twice has been quite a feat of organisation, what with schools and bank accounts and insurance and shipping and... and... oh but then I worry that all sounds really lame and the sort of thing that REAL working mums do in their spare time in between managing hedge funds in three languages and biting the heads off doormice.

mynameis Sun 29-May-11 08:43:20

I think anyone reading your CV who has young children or knows anyone who is raising young children will know that there isvery little 'sitting on your arse' time to be had.

It's a challenging career in itself grin

OfflineFor30Seconds Sun 29-May-11 08:48:47

I'd mention relocation too - it might prompt them to ask you about it and then you can expand on what organisational skills you needed smile

LowLevelWhiiingeing Sun 29-May-11 08:49:05

Yes it's a 'career break' to raise a family etc.

DrNortherner Sun 29-May-11 08:50:07

I would add a few lines in the intro bit at the beginning. Start with your career highlights, them mention time out with family, spending time running playgroups and putting your organisational capabilities into good use by sucessfully project managing relocating to a different country on 2 ocassions.

allhailtheaubergine Sun 29-May-11 10:51:07

<copies and pastes Dr N's post>

Veh good...

DrNortherner Sun 29-May-11 11:13:13

Good luck!

Piccadilly Mon 06-Jun-11 10:48:01

I think "career break" also sounds a bit belittling. Of course, it is technically correct but I think using the word "break" or "time out with family" is so ironic considering it is so much harder work than a lot of paid jobs!
I think I would write:

Raising young family: two relocations, playgroup leader, course in parenting skills (or whatever it was).

Something like that. Good luck!

allhailtheaubergine Mon 06-Jun-11 10:55:19

Oh the shame of it.

I chickened out of applying.

I am so embarrassed and cross with myself.

It was an awesome job too - I just can't imagine anyone employing me. I used to have a proper job and be good at it. I can't remember how to recapture that confidence.

Piccadilly Mon 06-Jun-11 11:11:42

I can understand you completely. If anyone has any advice of some way of recapturing lost self-confidence after having kids (or is it nothing to do with the kids? I don't know) I'll be very very interested! smile

OfflineFor30Seconds Tue 07-Jun-11 12:41:03

That's a shame. Next one that comes along, apply. Once you're in the interview, without children around, you'll find that you can focus back on your CV and yourself. Your memory will be jogged and you will be able to talk about the things that you've done with confidence.
Please give it a go, you've got nothing to lose. I'm sure you've got plenty to offer a company, probably now with an added sense of perspective and maturity.

I went for it a few months ago, despite feeling that my brain had turned to mush and that I wouldn't remember anything, but somehow they saw past it and gave me a job smile.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: