Talk

Advanced search

How long had you been at your place of work before you announced you were pregnant?

(4 Posts)
claireinthecommunity Sat 28-May-11 15:07:43

I've been with my current employers for eight months, job going very well and I also get on very well with the people I work with.

DH and I tried for a baby a few years ago, for over a year, without success. We stopped as I wanted to, for a number of reasons (which I won't go into here). I am now getting extremely broody and have discussed with DH about trying again - he is happy either way.

I'm a little concerned about how it might go down at work if I announced in a couple of months or so that I was PG, after not being there very long. Obviously I understand that it could take years rather than months to fall PG, in which case I would have been there longer!

I'd like to hear from others who have been in this position, how you felt and how it went down at work.

Many thanks.

babbi Sat 28-May-11 15:33:13

I had to tell them on day 1 that I was PG. They were fine and grateful I told them straight away rather than hide it. I was only 4 weeks gone but knew that they were trying to allocate projects etc and it made a difference as to what work I was assigned.
At the end of the day if you employ women of a certain age I think you should expect that this is a strong possibilty and just accept it.

FessaEst Sat 28-May-11 15:42:26

I got a new job, partly as a distraction following an horrendous ectopic and long period of trying with no success. I didn't announce I was pregnant until I had been there about 3 months, but I must have been pregnant within a few weeks of starting! It was absolutely fine, everyone was lovely. I felt a bit awkward, but you are there for a lot of the pg so know people even better by the time you go off.

8 months is loads of time for them to know you and that you work hard etc. You can't put your life plans on hold forever as something will always come up. Go for it I say!

claireinthecommunity Sat 28-May-11 17:04:57

Thank you for the replies.

I have a tendency to over think things, which is one of the reasons why we stopped trying before.

Yes FessaEst, perhaps we should just "Go for it...". smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: