Talk

Advanced search

Gardening qualification to get started?

(2 Posts)
Greecelover Sun 16-Jan-11 16:15:30

I'm looking for something that I will be able to fit around my two little ones and as I enjoy being outside in the garden and am unafraid of the hard work involved, I'm considering offering my services as a gardener in about a year's time when my youngest goes to playgroup. To start with this would simply be mowing lawns and keeping borders tidy and weed free, clearing leaves and basic pruning etc. I am considering doing some kind of horticulture qualification to add to my worth, such as an RHS certificate. This appeals as they offer distance learning - something I can do over the next few months before I would be in a position to start work. Has anyone else done anything like this or can anyone recommend any specific qualifications?

blowbroth Sun 16-Jan-11 19:29:40

Hi Greecelover. A few years ago I helped out a friend who had a bad back and was keen to keep her garden tidy. My dd was about 4 or 5. Anyway, one thing lead to another, word of mouth spread and I ended up working 4 days a week and turning people away as I had as much work as I wanted!
I didn't do any qualifictions as I was happy with the manual side of it all anyway.
It fitted in perfectly with my dd as my customers knew I didn't work in the holidays but they were happy with that.
Sorry I can't help with the qualifications side of things but there is loads of work out there!
Good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now