Talk

Advanced search

Temporary teacher - do I have any rights?

(2 Posts)
Pinkflipflop Sun 16-Jan-11 11:22:55

Just looking for some information atm.

I have been teaching for 4 years (retrained at 26) and I'm 32 now. Although I have been in the same school for the last 2 years on temporary contracts (service is broken during the summer holiday period) I have yet to secure a permanent job.

When I got my job, I was told that it would become permanent in 2 years - although due to other reasons, I take things like this with a pinch of salt from my HT until it ACTUALLY happens!

Anyway, I know they will need me next year (or at least a teacher for my class!!) However if my job doesn't become permanent, and I get pregnant and leave to have the baby do I have any right to return?

Remember this is a temporary job - so I don't get paid if I'm not at school (during holidays etc)

I'm a little worried that my 'child bearing age' may put the school off giving me a perm contract, as HT will often make jokes that no one is allowed to get pregnant!! hmm She is joking when she says this - but I can't help thinking it is a 'joke with jag'!
She is a mother of 6 herself - so she can't be serious?? confused

hairyfairylights Sun 16-Jan-11 13:48:49

Non continuous service so only rights built up within current contract I'd have thought.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now