Talk

Advanced search

how to stay on top of the house

(13 Posts)
homeagainhomeagain Sun 09-Jan-11 09:32:34

My DH and I are pretty rubbish at keeping the house tidy and clean. We seem to go round in circles. I'm on my second mat leave but when I go back to work in 5 weeks we won't be able to employ a cleaner (we did this the last time I worked).

I'm beginning to panic I'll get very stressed about how untidy the house is and become very shouty on a Saturday morning. The reason why we decided to get a cleaner when I went back to work after DD1.

This time, two kids, both working full-time, no cleaner (childcare costs are too high).

Any tips to keep our life in order so we can minimise stress and enjoy family weekends.

Sorry, long post.

homeagainhomeagain Sun 09-Jan-11 09:33:24

p.s. please don't say go part-time, not an option I'm afraid.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Jan-11 09:35:08

Sorry that part-time isn't an option for either of you.

The only thing I can suggest is try to do a little each evening so that you don't get overwhelmed and try not to stress too much about the mess.

homeagainhomeagain Sun 09-Jan-11 09:46:25

Thanks Jilted. That's the plan, just know I'm going to find it a bit overwhelming. Hopefully we'll be more organised now we know how crazy it can be with both us working.

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 09-Jan-11 10:27:50

Perhaps you should sign up for the daily fly grin

homeagainhomeagain Sun 09-Jan-11 14:37:27

Thanks, I'll have a wee nosey - although it might terrify me

hairyfairylights Sun 09-Jan-11 17:04:24

Clean up as you go each day and have a blitz each Saturday (you and dh doing alternate Saturdays so while one of you cleans the other takes the kids for a walk for an hour)?

mollymax Sun 09-Jan-11 17:12:06

Agree with hairy fairy.
And remember if you are out of the house all day it will not get too untidy.
Also teach the children at an early age to tidy toys as they go along, I know a lot easier said than done

hairyfairylights Sun 09-Jan-11 18:20:25

Was also going to suggest what Molly said about making sure the kids know as they grow up that their mess is their responsibility. Especially if they are boys! ;)

dianekeen1 Sun 09-Jan-11 21:29:39

Does everything in your house have a home? If it doesn't have a home either find it one or send it packing....... Be ruthless!!!!

Just one little decluttering tip from somebody who'd rather stick needles in her eyes than spend all day saturday cleaning.

xx

venusandmarzipan Mon 10-Jan-11 11:45:48

My MIL had 3 favourite phrases:

- Don't put it down, put it away

- A place for everything, and everything in its place

- Clear as you go (CAYG)

A 20 minute blitz (by both you and dh - and no slacking) every evening once the dcs are in bed can make a huge difference to keeping on top of everything.

emy72 Tue 11-Jan-11 13:11:24

This is what I do:

- One night a week I blitz downstairs after kids go to bed; mop/hoover all the floors, dust everywhere;

- Every night before I go to bed, even if I am shattered, I make sure DH and I clean the kitchen, put dishwasher on;

- DH gets the kids up every morning and I have a tidy upstairs and put the washing on, so that it's ready to hang/put in drier before the school run;

- On a Sat or Sunday morning DH looks after the children and I blitz upstairs; bathrooms (x2) and all the floors, dusting etc...it normally takes me a couple of hours but then it's done.

I do the clothes sorting whenever I can, generally also evenings or early mornings.

Hope that helps a bit.

homeagainhomeagain Sun 16-Jan-11 10:14:01

Thanks envy - sounds exhausting but that's waht we need to do. Have a routine and stick to it. I've gutted all my cupboards, cleared every room. Now we just have to stay on top of it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: