Talk

Advanced search

Flexible working request - timescales

(3 Posts)
harverina Thu 06-Jan-11 21:44:46

Hi all,

I am due to return to work mid March, although I have 28 days annual leave to take, which will take me to mid April.

I am applying to reduce my hours from 5 days full time to 3 days part time under flexible working hours.

I am writing the letter just now, though a friend said I should have done it by now. I know I am cutting it fine but I cant find info re: when I legally have to have my request in by?

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks

flowery Fri 07-Jan-11 09:09:22

It's not a case of when you have to make the application, it's a case of what timescales your employer needs to work to once you've made it.

If you have got approval to take your holiday at the end of your mat leave and want the request to take effect mid-April you are cutting it a bit fine, especially if there is a problem. If the process goes through smoothly you will be fine.

See here and

here about exact timescales your employer needs to follow.

You can see if they agree your request you should know that by 6 weeks from the date you make it. If they refuse and you then want to appeal etc that's when it gets a bit longer.

Have you spoken to your line manager informally; do you have an idea whether it is likely to be accepted or not?

harverina Fri 07-Jan-11 19:02:19

Thanks for replying. Well my line manager supports my request and thinks that it should be approved initially in the short term anyway. It fits in quite well with the rest of my team. There is another worker who is working to a reduced contract and a part time worker but the days I want off work in well with their days. This is why I have picked them.
I am going to hand deliver the letter to personnel on monday. Thanks for the links. I am on my phone at the moment but will take a look at then when I get home. From what I have heard, people in my organisation usually have flexible working requests approved. I work for a local authority so I'm not sure if they are slightly better than private organisations at agreeing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now