Talk

Advanced search

Part-time PGCE + 2 children - is it possible?

(8 Posts)
DivaandChunksMum Thu 06-Jan-11 20:53:23

Hi all - I am currently debating doing a part-time primary PGCE although my babes are only 3 and 2. I have read a few horror stories on here about workload. Does anyone have any advice please? Surely part-time is manageable. Please!?! confused

whoknowswhatthefutureholds Thu 06-Jan-11 21:10:23

I'm doing a BSc part-time. (full time it would be 4 days a week 9-5 every day plus homework)

I have 3 kids (6 months, 3 and 5)

It's mental but possible...taking me 5 years to do though!

I love my degree it's v interesting.

marriednotdead Thu 06-Jan-11 21:39:31

Not sure if this is helpful...

DD worked through college and her degree, and as a TA whilst doing her (full time) Masters. She is currently doing a full-time secondary PGCE and has not had time to do any kind of paid work. She has no DCs.

If you have lots of support it may be possible, but only you know how much you can cope with.

AutumnWitch Thu 06-Jan-11 21:56:20

I did mine (secondary) full time with a 9mo and 4yo with huge support from my husband and back-up from my in-laws. Without them it wouldn't have been possible.

The workload is very heavy, I've practically been a recluse for the last two and a bit years and had to make a lot of compromises, but it can be done.

One of the hardest parts is not having time to switch off. If I'm not working, I'm planning, if I'm not planning, I'm looking after my children.

If I could go back, I'd have tried for part-time. I can see it would have been more manageable and much less stressful.

Do beware - teaching will eat any time you have free unless you're very strict with yourself!

Good luck if you decide to go ahead smile

manyhands Fri 07-Jan-11 19:42:33

I did it when mine where that age. It was manageable for me although placements were harder. Think about subscribing to sites like clickteaching or hamilton trust that have ready made lesson plans, TES is also an excellent site with free resources.

DivaandChunksMum Sat 08-Jan-11 17:29:39

Thanks all for your advice (especially the links to the ready made lesson plans 'manyhands'! Now thinking I might wait til my youngest is at school in 2 years and then do a part-time primary PGCE then. x

SecretSlattern Sat 08-Jan-11 17:37:16

I am hoping to go back in September to do full time primary. My DCs are 7, 2 and 7 months.

Unfortunately, due to the rise in fees, I have to do it now otherwise I will never be able to afford it. DH is aware that his role will have to be more active at home. He has agreed to stay at home and do all things child related so I can carry on for the last year. Fortunately, he has a very flexible job which will allow this.

Don't know how we will manage, but we will. If I put it off any longer, I'll never do it.

cat64 Sat 08-Jan-11 18:25:51

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: