Talk

Advanced search

Accountant? Any tips on returning to work?

(5 Posts)
sumaca Tue 04-Jan-11 23:33:42

I'm an accountant, I've been at home full time with my wee ones and I need to get back to work. Any tips on how to find part time work (home or office) with decent pay? What have you done? Where have you looked? What work have you found?

MisSalLaneous Tue 04-Jan-11 23:52:22

Go through a reputable agency. I've never found a decent paying job through any other route. As far as part time is concerned, you might need to settle on a couple of days per week vs shorter days, and those would most likely be available as contracts, not permanent positions. I'm sure shorter hours perm is available, but you might need to look for a while.

I hope I don't sound negative - not meant that way at all, just experience. If you're qualified, Michael Page, Robert Half etc are good. If part-qual, you'd probably need to look at Page Personnel, Reed and others.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be fine.

MILFintraining Sat 08-Jan-11 23:38:54

Sumaca, I'm an accountant, and I'm really not trying to sound negative here, but if you get a part time position, then you really are very very lucky. I keep an eye out on Gaap web, and there are very few part time jobs out there. I work for a US company, and so far most of the part time requests, even those that are asking for a 2.5-4 hour reduction of hours a week , have been refused.

Best of luck with your search - I wish you all the best.

emma123456 Sun 09-Jan-11 10:31:34

Agree that its not that hard to find work,its part time work which is hard to come by. Easiest route would be to start full time and then apply for part time once you are in. Im looking for PT now after being made redundant and plenty of FT available but not one PT role has come up to apply for. Find a really good agent who will market you as part time roles rarely come to agencies, they need to go out to the market place on your behalf.

Good luck

ChasingSquirrels Sun 09-Jan-11 10:47:10

agree with others that decent part time jobs aren't marketed - by that doesn't mean that they aren't out there. If you are the right person and part-time would work then the employer might go with it. But the agency needs to be marketing you, not just looking at the jobs which come to them. You are almost certainly not going to find the job you want advertised.
Also, how long have you been away from work? what have you done to keep your skills up to date, and demonstrate this? Anything to enhance your CV, etc

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: