Talk

Advanced search

employment / work experience after running a business?

(1 Post)
mamachef Tue 04-Jan-11 22:22:10

Need some advice,currently in a state of analysis-paralysis

I am 36, children 8 and 6 1/2 and considering going back to work after being sahm for 4 years and then seting up and managing my own business (catering) for almost 3 1/2 years. I am now selling my business and wanting to go back to my previous job. I have few issues ...

1.Would anyone want to employ me after I have run my own business which has proven a great success but I feel its not for me anymore and want to move on (or rather go back)

2. Having run a business that has nothing to do with my previous job coupled with being away for so many years I am not sure how to approach employers.

3.My career before children was short 5 years, but worked in a very niche market as project manager and not many jobs come up in my area of interest and experience.
Even when they do, I am sure there are 'few' other people who have more recent experience.

I was considering approaching few well known companies and asking to maybe do work experience for 6 months or so and then look for work while I am at least doing similar work. Is this crazy??? I am not a student Would it sound desperate??? What do I say?

Any thoughts, anyone been thinking / done something similar?
THANK YOU

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now