Talk

Advanced search

Would you do part-time or full time if you were me?

(10 Posts)
emy72 Thu 16-Dec-10 12:07:20

Hi there,
I am going back to work in Jan after a very long stint on mat leave. I have 4 children and in Jan they will be:
16 months, nearly 3, 4 and 6. The older 2 are at school.
Work have agreed 3 days a week but after a lot of meetings it has become clear that the compromise on my part will be doing a rubbish job, way below my grade. They can't and won't obviously cut my pay or my grade but I am really worried about it being demoralising on many levels. So I have two choices:
- I go 3 days and suck it up - do a rubbish job for a while and then up my hours in the future at some point;
- Bite the bullet and go full time - there will still be a learning curve and it will be tough. But I do have the option of working from home and my DH works mostly from home too. So that's a bonus.

WWYD?

I have been having sleepless nights over this. My main concern tbh is my 16 month old as she is really clingy and has never been in childcare. The others will be fine, older two wouldn't notice as we'll be able to pick them up from school and nearly 3 year old is already at preschool most days so it would just be my younger DD who would be affected the most....thanks for getting this far!!!

One last point - I am desperate to get my career back on track tbh.

RibenaBerry Thu 16-Dec-10 13:10:13

Or how about secret option 3, go back part time (with the salary and the job title that won't show what they've changed) and start looking for another ojb?

Harimad Thu 16-Dec-10 13:16:30

You sound incredibly fortunate to have such a choice (from someone who went back to work 4.5 days a week doing exactly the same job and was made redundant a year later!)! Lucky!smile

Personally, I think I'd go with the 3 days option. You may find that actually doing the rubbish job is fine (and a nice bit of a rest!). It gives you the chance to see how your 16 month old takes the separation. And then once you've all settled into the new routine, you can take stock and decide if more exciting work would compensate for the extra hours.

Having worked from home, the benefit is no commute time as you still aren't really around for your kids if you are working even if at home.

emy72 Thu 16-Dec-10 13:48:42

Yes I think I need to put up with it for a while too, although I know it will be a bit annoying - at least like you said, my salary and job title will be the same, so it won't affect my future prospects toooo much.

Originally my plan was to go back full time when my DD2 turns 3, so just over 2 and a half years' time. In this way I would have 3 at school 1 at preschool...I just started to panic whether I would hack the rubbish they would throw my way!

I guess I might be lucky and enjoy it! (I doubt it though tbh!)

Also then instead of going full time I could always consider working 5 days but slightly shorter days so I am around for the school children....my employer would be more than happy with this as that was their original suggestion..

Thanks for your advice, food for thought!!

Feelingsensitive Thu 16-Dec-10 20:45:36

I would go PT and then review. Probably look to go FT after about a year if you felt it necessary to progress your career.

rookiemater Thu 16-Dec-10 22:02:09

I would go PT, but then I have just recently reduced hours and grade at work because I was so tired of the ongoing stress of trying to do everything and not having enough time.

If you are going to get your old level salary then go for it, unfortunately I had to take a drop but it was still very worthwhile.

Plus you will doubtless be brilliant at the job and once employers see this they will not be backward in giving you additional responsibility, particularly as you are already getting paid for it.

hairyfairylights Sat 18-Dec-10 18:16:33

I'd go for the three day option, to keep my hand in, ready for the future when things will be a bit easier.

cece Sat 18-Dec-10 18:23:39

I would do PT for a while and maybe when they are older either change jobs or go full time back to your more high powered role.

LynetteScavo Sat 18-Dec-10 18:26:54

I would go full time, but then I am a weeping nutter.

I would advise someone else to go part time and suck it up.

vanitypear Sat 18-Dec-10 18:31:06

PT and review after a while. If you then feel your little one has settled, you are fine and you could then handle a switch to FT and an expanded role, they will bite your hand off I am sure.
If you go FT, it will be much, much harder to switch down.
Hats off to you, I find 2 kids and a 3 day job a juggle!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: