Talk

Advanced search

What hours when returning to work?

(8 Posts)
HelenLG Tue 30-Nov-10 09:55:58

Hi,

I'm thinking of returning to work sooner rather than later and wondered what other people had found worked best in regards to hours.

I'd like to go back to work for about 30 hours a week and work are totally flexible with regard to this so it's really up to me as to what I choose to do, so I thought about the following 2 options: -

- Working 8.30 - 5 for 4 days a week and having an extra day off

- Working 8 - 2 for 5 days a week

DS will be looked after by his nan until he's about a year and then we're going to start introducing nursery. He's going to be about 8 months when I go back to work.

What are other peoples experiences?

putthehamsterbackinitscage Tue 30-Nov-10 10:01:57

I would say be prepared for what you need to change over time...

4 days and day off is probably great now but you might find 8 - 2 works better in the longer term, allowing you to be more involved at school and similar stuff

Do you have the option of going for 4 days now but switching when school looms? In theory you should be able to change your hours under flexible working so long as there isn't a business reason why not....

HelenLG Tue 30-Nov-10 10:12:21

The flexible work policy says that I can submit a change once a year, however I'm not sure if that's hours or which days IYSWIM.

My bosses are really great when it comes to flexiblity so I'm sure there would be no problems with switching.

I honestly, don't know which way to go, as there is the possibility of having to travel with my job, having to stay away for a night or two every now and again so don't know how this would effect my working hours either.

It's probably going to sound selfish but I wouldn't want to not be consider for certain projects at work due to them not wanting me to travel if it complicates hours and things.

emy72 Tue 30-Nov-10 16:47:08

I have the same dilemma, although slightly harder as I have 2 children at school and two pre-schoolers.

I would say go for 4 days a week for now and then see how it works out and then once your child is a little older and school looms definitely go for the shorter days.

I think that's what I am going to do myself!

rookiemater Tue 30-Nov-10 21:00:32

I would agree 4 days at this stage, as if you are travelling you probably won't get that time back and it is nice to have a full day with your DS. Plus means you will have full days in the office whereas if you are leaving at 2pm every day it may feel like more of a rush.

Baileysismyfriend Tue 30-Nov-10 21:08:37

I used to work 8-2 five days a week and really liked it, I found being in every day very useful. I had another baby not so long ago and now work 8-1 which is great too.

Baileysismyfriend Tue 30-Nov-10 21:10:22

Saying that though, it would be a good idea to check he nursery session times too as it might be that their morning sessions only run until 1pm which may mean you have to pay for two sessions.

If you worked over four days then nursery wise in the future thats probably simpler.

HelenLG Wed 01-Dec-10 11:56:16

Thanks for the replies...

4 days is looking more likely as my DH just got offered a new job and we'd have to car share.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: