Talk

Advanced search

Going back to work full time-top tips for the juggling act ahead?

(9 Posts)
Jic Fri 26-Nov-10 09:36:12

Starting work full time in January and I'm really excited because it's my dream job but also really nervous about how I'm going to juggle everything.dh works full time and we have 2dcs who are four and two.eldest starts school full time in January and there is also an after school club which will help loads I'm sure and ds will go to nursery.
Two things I'm wondering, since I don't always manage
to cope even when I'm at home all day with them sometimes,how am I going to do it after working all day too?! Or will I just become more efficient with my time?how do others cope?any tips with regards to housework and cooking? I've been so used to being at home that i think it will be a real shock to the system!

paddingtonbear1 Fri 26-Nov-10 09:46:31

Congrats on your dream job! My dh works full time, I work 4 days a week. We take it in turns to take dd to school (both our jobs do flexitime), and use an after-school club. I admit I didn't manage the housework very well, and dh doesn't really do any, so in the end we got a cleaner. Really worth it imo. dh does help with cooking though, he's a better cook than me! Or if you get time at weekends, do a batch of stuff then freeze it to use during the week. It is a bit of a shock to the system after being at home, but you will get into a routine A bit easier if you have family nearby to help out (we don't, although my dad and in-laws sometimes have dd for a bit in the holidays).

Menagerie Fri 26-Nov-10 12:18:24

Jic, congratulations. And thanks for posting this thread.

I'm waiting to hear on my dream job. Not got it yet but if I do, I plan to spend a week before it starts getting super-organised.

A day decluttering the house of tat and outgrown clothes etc.

A day deep cleaning the house, so if a cleaner comes to look round she doesn't run screaming from the scene.

A day sorting out food - cleaning fridge and freezer, bulk cooking stuff like spag bol sauce, making an online shopping list for the basics so the weekly shop doesn't take forever. And buying ready meals in bulk for the early days when I'm too knackered to cook.

A day getting organised for work - stock up on work clothes, buy season ticket etc.

A day on laundry - everything washed, ironed and put away, beds changed etc.

A day focused on kids' needs. Take them for hair cut, dentist, new shoes, check all their clubs and homework days are marked on the calendar, not just in my head etc. Library books handed back, homework and clubs subs up to date etc.

Also plan to ask a handful of good friends and neighbours, if something goes pear shaped - the kids are ill, for example, would they be prepared to step in to take care of them at short notice, and I'd offer to pay them going rate. That way, the kids are being looked after by someone they know and like if they can't make it into school or nursery.

I'm hoping having a head start will make things easier.

Jic Fri 26-Nov-10 15:04:39

thanks for replies

wow sounds amazing menagerie, stuff of dreams to be that organised! as you said, a little forward planning goes a long way. will be def taking advice on stocking up freezer for easy stuff to whip up for dinner though. I think that's the most tiresome part for me, because I'm not a natural cook by any means, and if it means having something quick and easy on hand it will make me feel a lot better.

Hope you're successful in getting your job!

Might just be getting a cleaner too paddington, we'll see

violethill Fri 26-Nov-10 15:24:08

I think the others have said it all.

Systems is the way to go. Have a routine for shopping/cooking etc

Even though the systems won't run smoothly 100% of the time, the fact that you've got them is the basis.

And you're dead right, that in many ways, you'll just learn to organise yourself better, and fit more into your day. Many household chores expand to fit the time available. If you've got all day, you can easily spend all day pottering around, doing a bit of cleaning, sticking the laundry on. However, it's perfectly possible in the 21st century to run a home smoothly, efficiently and happily without being in it all day!

Good luck

BootifulBernie Sat 27-Nov-10 08:53:04

Systems/organisation as above are all necessary and will make life much easier.

I would also say:

- a plan (if possible) for childcare back-up if your regular care goes tits up / kids are ill etc.

- lowering housework standards drastically and/or employing a cleaner if funds will stretch

Pendulum Sat 27-Nov-10 09:10:33

Very dull tip but I find it essential to have everything sorted for the morning the night before: school bag, nursery folder, uniform, my work clothes, all letters, extra money etc. If I have to do one extra thing in the morning it throws out my timing and makes me shouty.

My DC have school dinners so that I only need to prepare beans on toast or a sandwich in the evening.

I sit down with DH most weekends and we work out the week's logistics - early or late meetings, clubs etc that need to go in diaries.

Second the cleaner.

Online grocery shopping, delivered on Thurs night so that we are fully stocked for the weekend and don't have to spend our precious family time in the supermarket.

It will take some time, but you will settle into an efficient routine. Congratulations on the job, hope it goes really well!

BootifulBernie Sat 27-Nov-10 09:13:04

Second laying stuff out the night before.

Have a good 'to do' list system, too. I live and die by my Blackberry these days!

...and be prepared to feel tearful/stressed/ overwhelmed at times! The good stuff will outweigh all that, though grin

Good luck.

herhonesty Sun 05-Dec-10 19:37:44

cleaner
ocado
washing/ironing service for when washing gets completely out of control.
ability to let things go i.e. dusty skirting boards,the thank you card you havent yet sent to aunty jean

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now