Talk

Advanced search

Help & resources for anxious student teacher

(12 Posts)
eemie Tue 09-Nov-10 07:51:35

Dh was made redundant last year after 30 yrs as software engineer, the last 15 doing complex fixes, so working alone on knotty problems that took days at a time.

He had a year off and has now started graduate training to be a maths teacher - something he's wanted to do for a long time. Big culture shock, though.

He's not used to generating written work and is suffering horrible anxiety over it.

Can anyone recommend an online forum for support, or a lesson plan library, or question banks for examples, that might help him get started?

TIA

lavenderbongo Tue 09-Nov-10 07:58:01

Try the TES website - loads of free lesson plans and other resources. You have to register but it costs nothing.
www.tes.co.uk/resourceshome.aspx?navcode=70

eemie Tue 09-Nov-10 09:18:36

Thanks very much.

eemie Tue 09-Nov-10 11:32:42

Bump

manyhands Tue 09-Nov-10 21:38:31

I second TEs or teachers Tv easpecially the great lesson ideas section. You can also subscribe to the Hamilton Trust and Click teaching for about £30 each, but as I'm a primary teacher I'm not sure if they produce secondary lesson plans. Buying ready made displays on e-bay that you just have to print is also really well worth it.

eemie Fri 12-Nov-10 00:07:38

Thanks manyhands.

Dh suffering badly and needs help to get started. There must be loads out there that would help.

I think he's expecting too much of himself - original, creative, exciting lesson plans from scratch for every lesson? Is that what all the other student teachers are doing?

eemie Fri 12-Nov-10 23:12:06

Bump for all the teachers

My dsis (25+ years' teaching experience) has given him words of comfort. He's had good feedback for the lessons he's done so far.

I think he's inhibiting himself by setting far too high a standard, but as he's so new to it all it's early days for him to find this out.

Changing career in your 50s was never going to be easy. But he is suffering terribly with anxiety, so much so I just want to tell him he doesn't need to do it.

Biting my lip. He did go to school today and got nothing but support and encouragement...

Spinaroo Fri 12-Nov-10 23:15:31

Teacher resource exchange

manyhands Sat 13-Nov-10 19:51:30

Creating all his lessons from scratch is pretty impossible especially as he would have better lessons if he adapted what has already been made from others. He needs to prioritise what will directly impact on the children's learning, a perfect worksheet is still only a worksheet but an inspiring whiteboard start on his interactive whiteboard, there are lots of these on teachers tv would be more likely to help children with there learning. I know I'm being bossy, Saturday night wine but rather than producing fantastic one of lesson, he needs to plan several lesson with an end product/ outcome in mind. For example, in our year 3 class we wanted the child to investigate and record data about the classes favourite crisps, day one tally charts. day two frequency tables, day 3/4 bar charts. I expect he can think of a similar task for secondary. The final product was all that needed marking, the children were doing lots of group work, speaking and listening, very motivated and it planned itself.It is essential that children problem solve and speak about maths which means he marks less and bases his planning on what they find hard. Hope I didn't waffle

manyhands Sat 13-Nov-10 19:54:31

Why doesn't he get am medium term plan for TES, to get a picture of what a weeks worth of lessons would look like, rather than thinking of every lesson as an all singing all dancing one off.

manyhands Sat 13-Nov-10 19:56:32

Does he know about the three part lesson, quick fire starter, main activity, plenary.

eemie Mon 29-Nov-10 14:31:51

manyhands, belated thanks for your messages. He ended up being admitted to hospital with the stress and is still there so everything's on hold.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: