Talk

Advanced search

Very confused about what to do now, would love some suggestions.

(8 Posts)
AureliaRocks Mon 12-Jul-10 14:46:38

Right, I'll try to keep this brief.

DD is 6 months and, while I want to be with her until she's 18 months or so, I'm starting to think about what I'll want to do work-wise.

I was in a very corporate industry with very un-child-friendly hours, which I won't be returning to. I was a PA and office manager - great organisational skills, PC skills, very transferrable I hope.

I now want to do something a bit mummy-ish, I suppose, that will be flexible for childcare, has a friendly environment, possibly something to do with children but NOT childcare itself. I've considered starting a paint your own pottery shop, for example, but I'm not sure it would do very well in this area. I suppose I could get my brain in gear and do my sums and some proper market research.

I don't mind re-training (as I have no degree), but I am completely stuck for proper ideas.

Very grateful for any suggestions, as I'm going round and round in circles.

510fudge Thu 15-Jul-10 15:36:20

have a look at the jobsite women like us (London centric) which has flexible jobs. Also worth looking on websites for companies and charities - for example Save the Children have a job alert that you can sign up to- obviously the money will not be great. I suspect pottery shops may not be profitable.

I read the other day about 'kinder cafes' in germany- really child friendly cafes and thought that I would love to do that but you need to find the right location and I expect it would be very time consuming....

AureliaRocks Thu 15-Jul-10 20:48:07

Thanks 510fudge, that's a great idea. Have had a chat to some NCT friends and they say something similar...

I think I need to have some more time with DD before I start thinking too seriously about it all. But great tips re the job boards, thank you.

aoliver Sun 18-Jul-10 19:37:36

Message withdrawn

EmmaHewett Fri 30-Jul-10 11:01:58

When considering a career change it can be really helpful to have a sit back and consider what skills you have. You proberly have more skills that employers want then you would have first thought.

A good place to get started is a free transferable skills assessment, like this one: http://www.essex.ac.uk/reo/ecif/assessments.html .

Good luck

ButterpieBride Mon 02-Aug-10 14:57:34

Have you thought about selling children's books? I do Usborne, which I am finding absolutely brilliant. My website is www.bookwormery.co.uk.

If books aren't your thing, how about another direct sales company? They aren't all home parties- I mainly sell at soft play areas and playgroups where I can take my own children.

OxonOlly Wed 31-Oct-18 11:18:48

Hi, have you thought about working in a school or nursery as a Teaching Assistant? I was looking for term-time work after my son was born, and came across some really good short distance learning courses which are free to study from MK College - check them out on 01908 684154 or www.mkcollege.ac.uk.

MUMSTUCK2018 Mon 19-Nov-18 08:54:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: