Talk

Advanced search

anyone got a decent link to IQ stuff for children?

(7 Posts)
madwomanintheattic Thu 02-Jul-09 08:51:25

dd2 was wechsler tested (to do with her sn lol, not because we wanted an iq test grin) and i'm interested to know what it means really - she's 5 if that helps? is it different for children and adults or the same measurement scale?
there's loads of stuff on tinternet and it's very confusing! a nice simple site would be a great help grin

LIZS Thu 02-Jul-09 15:39:43

Are the components scored ? If so , on the children's test, 100 is "average" with 2/3 of kids scoring between 85 and 115(iirc). 116+ is relatively stronger, 84- relatively weaker. Alternatively they may convert it into a percentile figure. Are you able to discuss the results withth Ed Pysch who administered the test as I found that really helpful ?

madwomanintheattic Thu 02-Jul-09 17:50:28

yes - i will be able to. she's going to send the full reports through as well but just let me know she had worked out the scores - and she sent a quick e-mail with what i assume is the overall number - i hadn't got a clue what it meant really, so tried to google random iq sites grin <good old internet> but most seemed to be for adults or older kids, and i had no idea whether the same scales were used - the ones i found that were little kids were all talking in percentages lol. but what you've said makes it easier i think - i'll just wait for the report now.
thanks!

madwomanintheattic Thu 02-Jul-09 17:53:22

i'm guessing the component scores will be more important than the overall figure to some extent then? <sorry, afterthought> she didn't send separate component scores, it was just a quick note as i had queried why i hadn't heard from her grin

LIZS Thu 02-Jul-09 19:53:48

If there is a wide variation in scores then the components are a better indication of strengths and weaknesses than an overall score may reflect.

usernametaken Thu 02-Jul-09 22:39:36

An excellent site with loads on it http://www.hoagiesgifted.org/highly_profoundly.htm

madwomanintheattic Fri 03-Jul-09 09:24:52

ok, thanks LIZS.

that hoagies site is immense... i flicked through a few pages - must find some time to have a proper look. loads of wechsler stuff on there. interesting to have the north american angle too - we're moving to canada next month lol. grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now