Talk

Advanced search

showing talent in art

(4 Posts)
Babyramone Sun 28-Jun-09 12:17:24

Hi not sure if right place but I have a 5.5 DS.
In his report card and at parents night it was drawn to my attention that he's excelling in art.
I'm fairly creative myself(though not too hot a drawing) and give him lots of oppertunity with arty play.

What I was wondering is how can you tell if a child good at art?
TBH he does draw alot and got an excellent in it but other children in his class seem to draw really well too if not better, more detailed etc but didn't get an excellent.

His teacher got excited when he did a drawing and made the things in the destance smaller.
Is he quite young to do this or would you expect it around this age?

cory Sun 28-Jun-09 18:04:28

sounds good to me grin

enjoy and encourage

I would have thought that liveliness in the depiction is more of a sign of talent than how detailed it is

figroll Sun 28-Jun-09 21:40:53

Hi

My daughter is 17 and very talented in art. At 5 the only thing that made it look as if she was quite good was that she painted pictures with roughly the right proportions and she did sky right to the ground - not just a line across the top.

It wasn't until she was about 11 that she produced anything that made me think she really was good at it. I would say that in the last 3 years she has really come on in leaps and bounds. I think some of it is to do with manual dexterity.

Babyramone Tue 30-Jun-09 13:08:50

Hi thanks for your replies, sorry taken so long to reply (Toilet training).
Figroll, I've noticed that DS also has good proportions, ie heads are not massive or ttiny, People look right beside cars etc.
I think he's actually quite observant rather than having any real ability.
I was drawing along side him and he laughed at my sun (bright yellow with orange sunbeams)his was the palest yellow with no beams.
He told me "that's what the suns like mum"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now