Talk

Advanced search

out of interest.....2 year old milestones...?

(18 Posts)
mumblecrumble Sat 27-Jun-09 21:48:17

Ok. so people kep saying our kid is mega bright. I think she rocks but is normal [maybe bright side of normal].

She is 22 months old.

Any milestones/things to look out for?
Cos surely there must be as many differnet things as there are 'types of intelligence'.

mumblecrumble Sat 27-Jun-09 22:10:16

Maybe no one is replying cos they think I;m some pushing mum.

I;m not.

But would be very interested to hear your thoughts

piscesmoon Sat 27-Jun-09 22:29:28

Don't compare-just let her do things at her own pace.

plonker Sat 27-Jun-09 22:33:14

Are there milestones for a 2yo?

<genuine question>

Horton Sat 27-Jun-09 22:34:43

Why don't you describe what she can do a bit? Or there are loads of sites with milestone information like this or this.

FWIW, I think a lot of those milestone charts are pitched on the low side of normal. I see a lot of kids around who are far exceeding expectations in terms of what they can say and do but I don't think they are all geniuses! Nice, bright, encouraged kids, yes. But not in any way out of the ordinary.

mumblecrumble Sat 27-Jun-09 22:36:42

She's doing things EXACTLY at her own pace!

Never compare her! Hate it when others do....but....possibly cos I have big interest in learning and how learning work etc.... wonders what she is good at. I suppose its part of getting to know her.

She is AMZING at doing stuff e.g. she puts her own shoes and socks of at 18months, sings in tune. Later talker, early walker. Holds a pencil like I do at 14 months.

Pureply interest. Not competetive

mumblecrumble Sat 27-Jun-09 22:37:38

Cool sites - thanks. WIll try hard not to want to read them`!

piscesmoon Sat 27-Jun-09 22:39:49

She is a baby-just enjoy her. You have already said that she is bright so you don't have to worry about problems like poor speech development. If you google '2yr old milestones'you will come up with lots of sites.

mumblecrumble Sat 27-Jun-09 22:42:46

I do enjoy her. Thats why I love finding out about her!

Ok. I just read the AMZING at doing stuff bit. That looked very PFB.....

I meant 'doing stuff' as in motor skills yet poorere at speech [so how do I know if she needs help or not if I don;t 'compare'.] Thats the bit that has made me curious.

AAaaaaanyway. Not really getting myself accors and people implying I'm not just enjoying her so....

sorry

Horton Sat 27-Jun-09 22:44:00

I think there are milestones for a two year old in terms of, you know, you would start to become concerned if a two year old had no words at all as you'd be expecting him or her to be starting to put two words together etc.

But it is a bit silly, IMO, as I've noticed that they seem to race ahead on the stuff that they're interested in and then it all evens out a few months or years down the line. So DD had hundreds of words by 18 months and you still can't shut her up, but on the other hand, at 2.9 she still finds climbing onto a sofa in a carpeted room a hazardous operation that requires anything up to three adults (depending on how many are available) to help her achieve it while other kids her age will climb up actual ladders confidently. I'm sure by the time she's four or five, her speech won't be so noticeably ahead of her peers and she'll have realised that if you fall onto a carpet you're unlikely to die. The kids who are up ladders now and giving their parents heart attacks will have fallen off a few times and realised you have to be careful sometimes!

bargainhuntingbetty Sat 27-Jun-09 22:47:26

Ok, by 2 both my dd's were toilet trained (day time), speaking in clear sentences, painting/drawing identifiable pictures, Using knife and fork, climbing things well, reciting nursery rhymes, reading books (from memory, not reading words) and repeating many many things that were said to them.

HTH you to get an idea in your head. All children develop at different rates though but you sound like you are really enjoyong your dd and are just asking what is still to come. Continue to enjoy her.

plonker Sat 27-Jun-09 22:50:05

Mumble, people aren't saying you don't enjoy her, it's just that parents can get so hung up over what their LO's 'should' be doing, or working out whether they should be applying to MENSA yet ... wink

I actually think it's perfectly natural to compare a little bit, and personally speaking, I've never been interested in whether or not my children are doing things that exceed other children - I'm just looking to see if they are keeping up, iykwim.

You said yourself that your dd is bright - that's fantastic smile

Yes, continue to enjoy her, I'm sure she's a delight smile

piscesmoon Sat 27-Jun-09 22:50:47

They are all completely different. DS1 had an amazing vocabulary at 2 yrs and was asking questions like 'how do bridges stay up in the middle'. DS3 was following his brothers up huge climbing frames, to the amazement of people watching. DS2 was slow to talk. Now they are teenagers you really can't tell. I would carry on doing lots of fun things-read to her etc.but don't worry about whether it is advanced or not.

missmem Sun 28-Jun-09 00:08:18

Lots of little girls can do what you have mentioned before the age of 2 and lots of boys cannot because of delayed fine motor skills. My friend had a daughter of the same age as my son and from 0-18 months she was way ahead: speech, fine motor control, confidence. Now DS is way ahead of her in all aspects, apart from fine motor control.

She may well be gifted but the thongs you have mentioned are not definitive. Now if she picks up a book and starts reading it then she may well be a genius!

piscesmoon Sun 28-Jun-09 07:12:51

If she is an only DC with lots of adult company she will most likely be advanced for her age. This is why my DC1 had an amazing vocabulary, he saw other DCs but most of the time it was the 2 of us and he spent a lot of time with grandparents. We talked to him all the time and he talked and discussed ideas. We had plenty of time to do jigsaws etc. He had 8 yrs on his own. Before DC2 was 22 months I had DC3 and they had each other to play with and I didn't have as much time.They were advanced in other things-mainly physical. It all evened out in the end. DS2 had to have speech therapy. You can't tell now which was advanced early, in which thing. This is why I don't think you want to get caught up on what she 'should' be doing.

purepurple Sun 28-Jun-09 07:24:40

Here is the EArly Years Foundation Stage Website, the framework used by nurseries

EYFS

click on each area of development to find the milestones.
They will give you an indication of what 2 years olds are expected to be able to achieve

Piffle Tue 30-Jun-09 14:21:06

I've got a 27mth old mumble, who amazed the HV with his verbal and other bits at his 2yo check
She said he is extremely advanced.
I have 2 older children, 1 profoundly gifted (aged 15) and another with some SN and also very bright.
FWIW I think my 2 yr old is more like his biggest sibling.
A couple of things he knew before 2
shapes, colours, numbers and most of his letters, plus very very good speech.
He i also very physically able, can dress himself, get on and off the toilet etc

It is ok to compare, everyone tells you just enjoy them, as if by comparing them you stop enjoying them
FFS when you have an SN child, they constabtly compare what a "normal" child could do to reference your childs delays.

So compare away wink

fijibird Wed 01-Jul-09 17:51:12

My Ds couldn't say a word until 3 but began reading & could count to 100 at the same time. He has always loved books and Letterland magazine is his fave and I think the biggest challenge when you recognise a 'talent' is to concentrate on the other things that they don't do quite as well to ensure they are good all rounders. I can't stop his reading now so he can just continue to develop it at his own pace - everyone is always amazed by Ds but I prefer to play it down as it is 'normal' for him!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now