Talk

Advanced search

DD1's teacher has put her on the G&T register for literacy............not sure about it, she is 5 and surely just a bit advanced

(15 Posts)
lockets Thu 11-Jun-09 00:03:07

Message withdrawn

emkana Thu 11-Jun-09 00:07:11

Can't really see any harm in just letting the school get on with it.

fwiw, dd's friend was gandt in Reception/Yr 1, now in Yr3 is merely doing very well, so I would just wait and see.

emkana Thu 11-Jun-09 00:07:28

Can't really see any harm in just letting the school get on with it.

fwiw, dd's friend was gandt in Reception/Yr 1, now in Yr3 is merely doing very well, so I would just wait and see.

lockets Thu 11-Jun-09 00:09:29

Message withdrawn

emkana Thu 11-Jun-09 00:11:05

dd's friend took no notice of the whole thing, didn't seem to bother her at all. At dd's school at least it doesn't seem to make much difference in day to day school life.

lockets Thu 11-Jun-09 00:16:11

Message withdrawn

mummyrex Thu 11-Jun-09 10:54:56

TBH it is probably a box ticking exercise. The top 10% of acheivers recognised and put on a list to satisfy targets for identification.

There was a real flurry of letters last term at our school, most kids being put on the G&T list for something or opther. two of mine for PE! It just gave us access to a TOTALLY useless Govt database.

It is a matter of definition, traditionally gifted was top 1 0r 2%.

Although, I think 2b in Reception IS rather good and it is good for your dd that this is recognised as they now have an obligation to see that she is properly stretched when others in her class are likely to be several 'years' behind her.

fleacircus Thu 11-Jun-09 10:57:50

They have to identify top 10% in the school as G&T. It might mean your DD gets to participate in some interesting activities and trips, which she might enjoy. Otherwise it's pretty meaningless so I wouldn't worry about it.

lockets Thu 11-Jun-09 18:08:18

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Thu 11-Jun-09 18:12:36

I wouldn't worry. G&T does really mean advnaced when it comes to schools. It means your DD is in the top 5-10% of her year/cohort at her school.

Being ont he G&T register should, ideally, mean she gets to do some fun challenging activities linked to her strengths. But how much ahppens and what exactly depends ont he school.

Ask your school more what it would mean for DD; what she would beenfit from.

lockets Thu 11-Jun-09 18:28:44

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Thu 11-Jun-09 18:32:05

I don't think that schools officially have to have G&T in reception maybe, as part of foundation stage rather than key stage 1. Not sure but sounds likely reason - then they may get to do mroe stuff together.

DadAtLarge Thu 11-Jun-09 18:44:58

"I don't think that schools officially have to have G&T in reception maybe, as part of foundation stage rather than key stage 1"
The program stresses to teachers that early identification of ability is crucial - the earlier the better.

In some schools it's 10%, but schools have discretion in this and sometimes it's just the top 1% or only children x years ahead of their cohort.

lockets Thu 11-Jun-09 19:18:36

Message withdrawn

ermintrude13 Sun 14-Jun-09 12:53:42

This has happened to my son (Yr 1) too, in various subjects. Schools are supposed to select the top 5% of pupils, so what might count for G&T in one deprived area might be about average in an affluent one - it's all relative.

The teacher said that at this stage it just means they're particularly encouraged - little sessions with the head teacher for example - but no big deal.

We just decided not to mention it to anyone, including DS and any other parents, because we know he's a bright boy but doubt he's a genius!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now