Talk

Advanced search

Help, I'm new! What is an "inclusion coordinator"?

(8 Posts)
Frideswide Tue 01-Jul-08 15:43:57

My DS is 4 and a half, and so is starting school in September. The inclusion coordinator from the infants school visited his preschool, and left her number for me, as she thinks we should have a chat - I suppose because he reads well & is very very chatty. Anyway, I have an appointment with her coming up, but before I go, can anyone please tell me what an inclusion coordinator's job is? I'd like to go in with an idea of where she's coming from.....

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 01-Jul-08 15:51:04

Usually inclusion would be referring to special or additional needs. Search for inclusion co-ordinator and the name of your council for further local information. It's not a recognised term such as SENCO so might be used in a specific way you your council.

jimjamshaslefttheyurt Tue 01-Jul-08 15:51:14

Usually inclusion would be referring to special or additional needs. Search for inclusion co-ordinator and the name of your council for further local information. It's not a recognised term such as SENCO so might be used in a specific way by your council.

RosaLuxembunting Tue 01-Jul-08 21:29:10

The inclusion coordinator at our primary school has responsibility for any needs beyond the classroom - so she deals with statemented children, children who have IEPs for any reason and also more able children.

Frideswide Wed 02-Jul-08 15:43:11

Thanks for this. I'll see how it goes.

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Tue 08-Jul-08 14:31:47

Interesting - on our school letter about the set-up next year, there is reference to an 'inclusion co-ordinator' like we should all know what one is - have never heard the term before!

MrsGuyOfGisbourne Tue 08-Jul-08 14:31:49

Interesting - on our school letter about the set-up next year, there is reference to an 'inclusion co-ordinator' like we should all know what one is - have never heard the term before!

Frideswide Thu 10-Jul-08 21:45:31

Well I saw her, and it sounds like she is a combination of a SENCO and a G&T co-ordinator, with a few other bits thrown in besides. We had a very good chat - not really about DS's abilities as such, but about those abilities could be catered for within the context of Reception, and how he could be encouraged to be a bit more of a joiner-in (she had his nursery transfer form which highlighted this). All in all, l I found it quite reassuring, as I had been indulging in a few anxieties having been through something similar myself.... let's just say I did a lot of enforced colouring at the age of 5.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now