Talk

Advanced search

what should I be doing for my DS?

(8 Posts)
iwearflairs Tue 17-Jul-07 18:44:25

He is 3 and 4 months and has just finished his first year at nursery. Although we haven't done anything like an IQ assessment he is obviously bright - can read at the level of a 6 year old and has worked it out on his own. Very able with language and has wide vocabulary as well as being advanced in 'engineering' ie constructing towers, etc and can do basic sums. Probably not very amazing in the scheme of G & T children, but nevertheless, I wish I knew what to do for him at home.

Should I teach him things or just do play dough and parks?

Sorry if this is the wrong place to post, without proper G&T assessment.

Wisteria Tue 17-Jul-07 19:17:10

This is something which is entirely up to you. You will probably get many different opinions - I personally (and this is only my opinion) can't stand the whole 'hot-housing' of children. My youngest dd is G&T and I did nothing more than play with her and allow the natural school system to educate her. When she asked me questions I would answer them and we've always played games/ cards/ scrabble etc. I believe that children learn naturally through play at your ds's age and unless he becomes disruptive at school later on because he's bored (in which case I would look around for a school which is able to deal with his level of intelligence) then I'd leave well alone.
It's fantastic to have a very bright child but try not to forget that he is just a child and needs to have a childhood.
Good luck anyway - he sounds pretty amazing!

FLIER Tue 17-Jul-07 19:20:00

I am not an expert, but I think you should follow his lead and do what he enjoys and wants to do. Although, if he enjoys only "academic" stuff I would try to encourage more play as you suggest, like playdough and playparks.
hth

ladygrinningsoul Wed 18-Jul-07 19:16:12

DS has picture encyclopedias, atlases, and science books which he enjoys looking at and talking about. He also loves going to the Science and Natural History Museums - lots of hands-on stuff especially in the Science Museum.

There's also the Lookout Centre in Bracknell which is a sort of mini Science Museum. All the exhibits are hands-on and there is an under 5s play area and an adventure playground outside.

katelyle Thu 19-Jul-07 12:19:05

I really think that the proper thing for a 3 year old to be doing is playing. And playing and playing. Then playing some more!

ladygrinningsoul Thu 19-Jul-07 14:11:49

katelyle, as far as my DS is concerned (and a whole bunch of other 3 year olds last time I was there), the Science Museum IS playing. As for the books, they are there for him to look at if he wants to. He taught himself to read. Do you really think I should snatch the encyclopedia out of his hands and thrust a teddy at him? (He does play with teddies, too, when he feels like it).

katelyle Thu 19-Jul-07 16:26:15

Of course it's important to encourage his interests, and the Science Museum is HUGE fun! But I think - sorry,generalized-and-not targetted-at-anyone-except-possibly-my db rant coming on - that children are far too directed and people often undervalue the importance of messing about. Great believer in messing about, I am!

mumof3teens Thu 19-Jul-07 16:38:07

Agree re the Science Museum - all 3 of my DSs loved it (and the Nat History & the British Museum and EUREKA)-(DS2 and DS3 in NAGTY ( G & T) and DS1 in MENSA). Just did lots of play and normal age 3 stuff at that age, but DS1 & 3 taught themselves to read v early. They both read a huge amount (not so DS2!)and went to the library at least once a week. All 3 went/go to a "normal" village school and a (admittedly "outstanding") non selective Comprehensive school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now