Talk

Advanced search

Education psychologist and school help

(7 Posts)
Amumhere Thu 28-Mar-19 20:16:06

Hello everyone,
I am seeking advice for our child who will be four next month. She will start reception in September. She currently goes to nursery (not where she will start reception) and is very happy there.

We (as well people who know her) believe that she is of high ability.
Couple of things which indicate the same are - she spoke early (at 7 months of age), by 15 months she was bilingual and speaking in sentences. She taught herself to write before she turned three and taught herself to read couple of months after she turned three. She is nearing four now and can read a lot and very fast. She is good with numbers, can do basic addition , subtraction. She also has an amazing memory. For example she knew my phone number when she was two simply from overhearing me tell it to someone. We haven't done much. It's all been self initiated, with us providing her access to resources.

We are considering consulting a private education psychologist to understand more about her and what best we can do for her. She will most likely start reception in an outstanding state school (we are very close to it). While the school is considered very good in the area, it doesn't do much for more able children. So I think seeking help from a professional will also help us in advocating for her when needed. We are new in the country and don't really know how to go about it. Will really appreciate recommendations from your personal experience or from people you know.

Also, we are considering buying home next year (right now we are renting) and want to know if there are any schools in London which cater to high ability kids better compared to other schools? We want to shortlist areas where we can consider buying.
We have thought of independent schools but it seems like we won't be able to afford them. Unless they provide scholarships based on ability. Do some schools provide that? We don't think we will quality for bursaries based on our financial situation.

We are really confused right now. Looking to get help from parents who have been through the same.

I know it's just reception right now. But we want her to be an environment where she is understood and where she can retain her curiousity.

Thanks for your time. We really appreciate your inputs.

user789653241 Thu 28-Mar-19 22:07:49

Hi, I saw your post on primary as well.

From what I read on here over the years, it really seems to depend on the school and the teacher how they differentiate more able children.

You may have to be "that parent" sometimes, but also be humble and listen to the teachers as well. Good relationship with school and teachers are the key, I think.

This board is great. I had so many helpful advice from teachers and fellow parents on here. Sometimes you may get negative/mean comments, but don't worry and ignore them.

I think reception is not too bad, it's less formal and mostly learn through play, so she can pursue her interest more easily than later years.

Amumhere Thu 28-Mar-19 23:35:28

Thanks @irvineoneohone. I am not worried about reception. It's mostly because she will continue in the same school for many years. Also, if we move then it's better to move near a school which people have had good experiences with.
Thanks, I really don't understand why some people are getting offended and are arguing about my child on my other post.

user789653241 Fri 29-Mar-19 07:41:58

I have just looked, they are not really arguing, tbh, it's more like a difference in opinions.
FYI, JustRichmal is one of the most level headed, fair, and knowledgeable parent I ever encountered on education board.

JustRichmal Fri 29-Mar-19 08:10:10

irvineoneohone, thank you for that. I do have strong opinions as I have known parents being put off teaching their child by the idea that if they are intelligent enough they will teach themselves.

However, I do apologise to the OP as this was not the central point of her enquiry and I realise this is not what she was trying to say.

extrastrongmints Fri 29-Mar-19 20:57:39

There may be some downsides to rushing into seeing an ed psych now. Firstly it may put the school's back up - schools have a tendency only to believe tests they've done themselves, or that they've sanctioned, so it may be worth waiting until there's an issue in school, then speak to the school, and do your best to make them think involving an ed psych was their idea in the first place or at least feel they're involved in the process. Secondly, cognitive assessments are rather inaccurate before the age of 4.5, but become progressively more accurate between 4.5 and 6. Before 6 the usual test is the WPPSI whereas from 6 onwards the WISC, which is generally reckoned to be a better test, can be used. If you wait until there is a specific question to be answered or problem to be resolved, then any assessment will be that much more current.

Some independent schools do offer bursaries from the age of 7. I'm not aware of any that do before that, though that's not to say there aren't any. An independent school may not be the answer, though. Some of them are just as rigid as state schools. What you are likely to need most is flexibility in dealing with an outlier.

I would suggest reading this book and article (and everything else by those authors...) and having a look at hoagies and PEGY. Look into acceleration.
You will find a very informed level of discussion at:
giftedissues.davidsongifted.org/BB/
Lastly, for an exhaustive reference there is the GERRIC Professional Development Package for Teachers.

Amumhere Fri 29-Mar-19 21:47:41

Wow! Thanks a lot @extrastrongmints. This is really helpful. I am going to check all the resources.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: