Talk

Advanced search

Yr 7 maths help

(14 Posts)
StrumpersPlunkett Sun 17-Mar-19 21:06:31

Ds2 is at an independent school.
He is in set 1 for maths
He has been assessed at exceeding 130 on the standardised scores scale for his age.
There are 3-4 in his class who are at this level and they are being encouraged to slow down to let the rest of the class keep up.

I know this is the practical solution but is there more I can do?

JVMorgan Sun 17-Mar-19 21:19:29

I was the same in school, always exceeding the other students in maths. I just asked for extra homework, same subject just more difficult etc. Kept me busy and mind engaged. Speak to the teacher if you're concerned, or ask the parents of the other 3-4, see what they are thinking

StrumpersPlunkett Sun 17-Mar-19 21:23:20

Thanks. Teacher is v v aware how much further ahead these children are.
He is setting them extension homework it is more about him feeling bored in class I am bothered about.

JVMorgan Sun 17-Mar-19 21:26:38

I never felt bored, I'm assuming you've asked his thoughts on it?

StrumpersPlunkett Sun 17-Mar-19 21:29:53

I have but he feels he gets into trouble for chatting to his friend when they have finished the set work

Lara53 Tue 19-Mar-19 08:56:29

You could provide him with some extension tasks/ material from higher age group. There are plenty of resources online. Print something out and he takes it in to do when class work finished.

Wallabyone Tue 19-Mar-19 08:58:03

I'd be disappointed that children are being asked to 'slow down' (what does that even mean?!).

Pinkyyy Tue 19-Mar-19 09:05:48

OP I'm not really sure what you want them to do? You're worried about him being 'bored' in class, do you want an entire class to skip over things because he understands them quickly? I'm sure there are subjects where other students excel, but he needs things explaining to him. Would you be happy for them to leave him in the dark to focus on the gifted and talented students? If you want him to do more work then go online and find some for him, there are hundreds of resources available.

sackrifice Tue 19-Mar-19 09:07:18

The teacher needs to give them extension activities in class - it is basic classroom management.

talktoo Tue 19-Mar-19 09:28:51

Go speak with the teacher. What would anyone on here be able to do for you. He's in top set so the work will be challenging relative to the rest of the year group. So he will be being taught far ahead of the curriculum anyway. But really, go and speak with the teacher and ask for worksheets for he and his friends to do when they complete their work.

Hollowvictory Tue 19-Mar-19 12:25:42

That's madness! Why is he not being given appropriate work fir his ability as he would in a state school?

LondonGirl83 Tue 19-Mar-19 22:20:52

The local independent school near me has dedicated learning plans for gifted students. For children far advanced in maths, they would consider having them do math with an upper year group combined with independent study as appropriate.

Having them do worksheets and then expecting them to be quiet and learn nothing for chunks of the lesson is less than optimal.

As a first step, why don't you speak to the gifted coordinator at the school (often combined with the role of SENCO) and devise a plan that's workable. Given there are 3-4 in a similar position it might help the case for devising a more appropriate solution.

extrastrongmints Tue 19-Mar-19 22:26:00

they are being encouraged to slow down to let the rest of the class keep up

Not allowing gifted children to accelerate appropriately, when they wish to, is simply educational malpractice

"EDUCATIONAL MALPRACTICE
Gifted individuals will not achieve their potential unless provided with a challenging education-one at a pace commensurate with their ability level and pattern, and in areas that reinforce their personal preferences.Acceleration appears to be the method of choice for providing the necessary challenge (Benbow 1991), especially if used in conjunction with well-designed enrichment opportunities.
Given the scientific evidence, we believe that not allowing gifted children to accelerate appropriately, when they wish to, is simply educational malpractice. It is akin to a physician electing not to use a scientifically proven medical treatment or drug because he or she did not personally believe in such therapy. If the patient died or suffered negative consequences because of this belief, the physician would be sued and certainly would lose in court. Are our schools opening themselves up for this possibility, too?"

Ref: David Lubinski & Camilla P. Benbow (1995) Optimal Development of Talent: Respond Educationally to Individual Differences in Personality, The Educational Forum, 59:4, dx.doi.org/10.1080/00131729509335070

StrumpersPlunkett Wed 20-Mar-19 16:24:07

Thank you for the comments that are helpful. The critical comments don’t further the conversation.

I will talk to the teacher again.
Thanks

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: