Talk

Advanced search

Watching DVD's at school. I feel a bit bemused by this

(29 Posts)
TinyGang Wed 27-Jun-07 12:40:20

It's not ususual for dt's (reception) to mention having watched a dvd (or part of one)at school.

I thought maybe this was just during a wet playtime maybe but dd said they watched a bit of one today and that they're watching part of it everyday. It's a film I took them to the cinema to see.

I don't mind the dvd, but when they keep pushing extra work that we must do with them at home, I feel a bit about it. I feel that homework at 4/5 is too much but that's just a pov and we do do it.

Haven't said anything and don't know if I should - it might sound a bit picky of me. Does this happen at other schools?

TinyGang Wed 27-Jun-07 12:42:29

Sorry - no idea why I put this in G&T...I meant it to go in 'education'. Arrgh!

Ladymuck Wed 27-Jun-07 12:42:57

At ds's school they would watch some Magic Key video, but then it was usually tied into some sort of literacy exercise. We've had the wet play issue recently and ds1 came home disgusted that apparently someone had not taped the magic key properly so they watched Pingu instead.

ambercat Wed 27-Jun-07 12:43:48

yes, ds1 and dd (y1 and 2) sometimes talk about what they have watched at school, usually tends to be towards the end of the term.
I feel a bit about it aswell but have never taken it any further.

mysonsmummy Wed 27-Jun-07 12:44:26

ds 5 is watching a DVD toay at school - my only thought is how exciting hope he enjoys it. they are 5 its nearly the end of term

ThomCat Wed 27-Jun-07 12:48:17

My DD was learning about life under the ocean a while ago and they all watched a little bit of Shark Tale. They also watch DVDs as part of Golden Time and I think use aspects of CBeebies as an educational tool.

roisin Wed 27-Jun-07 17:06:59

I think in reception they do get very tired, especially if they spend the long lunch-break charging around in the playground.

Some school use a bit of TV time as a bit of a chill-out activity. I wouldn't have a problem with it personally.

Pixiefish Wed 27-Jun-07 17:19:59

I wouldn't have a problem if it tied in to their work like thomcat's sharktale or something.

I teach secondary and a lot of teachers stick dvd's on at the end of term- I never did (not holier than thou at all btw) I personally can't see the point of the kids being in school unless it's to learn and a lot of the time the dvd's were entertainment rather than learning.

However, there are exceptions. One being one of my colleagues who had the lowest ability set in year 10 and they were very badly behaved for everyone. he bribed tem that if they worked for 3 lessons they could watcha dvd for the Friday lesson. This gave them an incentive to work and actually got them through the 2 years and they passed their exams at the end of it- just on example of where I wouldn't complain

TinyGang Wed 27-Jun-07 21:01:17

Thanks for your replies.

I am a bit bemused by it it's true. Not because I have a problem with dvd's - goodness knows they do have them at home, and not because I'm a party pooper. It's more to do with the lists and lists of words to learn at home that they get. I think they are too young for extra work at home after 6.5 hrs a day in school, and then I find that dvd's are being watched.

I'm going to leave this for now. It could, as some of you have said, be just an end of term treat although I'm sure they've mentioned it before.

KerryMum Wed 27-Jun-07 21:02:31

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

amateurmum Wed 27-Jun-07 21:06:41

The new literacy strategy places a good deal of focus on film as a starting point for writing/speaking and listening/drama.
I have taught some units based on film recently (in junior school) and found them very motivating for children who produced some great work.
Could this be the reason?
It feels a bit early for end of term treats!

spudmasher Wed 27-Jun-07 21:07:25

Ah, yes - visual literacy they call it. I'm a big fan.

Aloha Wed 27-Jun-07 21:10:07

I feel pretty about it too. I mean, nice rest for the teacher and the TAs but no benefit at all for the children.

TinyGang Wed 27-Jun-07 21:10:08

The film is Charlottes Webb. They seem a bit young to be using the story as a book example. They liked the film when I took them to see it, but they'd probably not read it at their age.

amateurmum Wed 27-Jun-07 21:10:40

Thanks, spudmasher - I knew there was a technical term I'd forgotten!

Aloha Wed 27-Jun-07 21:11:06

My ds comes home and watches a dvd after school as wind down time. I don't think he needs it at school. He could read a bleedin' book!

Aloha Wed 27-Jun-07 21:11:25

In my day the teacher read a story.

TinyGang Wed 27-Jun-07 21:12:34

Exactly Aloha!

spudmasher Wed 27-Jun-07 21:13:34

If it is being used as part of the Literacy teaching then the teacher will be working all the time it is on. She will be stopping it, asking what the children understand from it, what will happen next, putting children in role and hot seating them, extending their vocabulary etc.
Ask to see the week's literacy plan to see how the dvd fits in.

If it does at all.
If it is and end of term thing while the teacher's tidy up then I think it is too soon!

amateurmum Wed 27-Jun-07 21:16:17

TinyGang - they wouldn't necessarily need to access the book to do some work based on the film. This explanation seems more likely as they are watching a bit every day - perhaps they are using it as a spingboard for work in the same way they might use a big book or other text.

However, it is of course possible that they are just giving the teacher some down time (it is that report writing time of year ...)which, like you, I would feel unacceptable as a regular occurance.

Aloha Wed 27-Jun-07 21:16:47

Well, that sounds a splendid way of ruining a perfectly good film
Actually, seriously, it does.
Is this a government anti-tv and video initiative? If so, I think it is brilliant.
Today ds was happily working on the computer when the 'school council' came in to 'talk to the class'. Ds was taken out of the class by force for standing up and saying 'This is BORING', and I had to say, I did laugh. (not in front of him, put the pitchforks away)
How DULL does that sound?

Aloha Wed 27-Jun-07 21:17:37

I also think children should read the book before the film. As a kid I HATED watching the film first. Spoiled the book completely.

amateurmum Wed 27-Jun-07 21:19:30

Well, I suppose that is one way of looking at it, Aloha. I do sometimes worry that we are ruining perfectly good books by dissecting them as part of the literacy hour!

But, honestly, film is really motivating. especially for boys in my experience, as long as it is an occasional feature in the literacy lesson and not every week of term.

wheresthehamster Wed 27-Jun-07 21:20:30

For the past 2 weeks in yr1 we have been watching some of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. It is part of our Literacy work on Fantasy settings. We watch a little bit and the children have to think how they might continue the story, the characters feelings, and to use different describing words for the snow, woods etc. The next time we watch a bit more, then we have to add other things to our own version.
If our children went home and described their day they might say all we do in school is watch a film about Narnia...

wheresthehamster Wed 27-Jun-07 21:22:07

oops! thread had covered this and moved on.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now