Talk

Advanced search

Bursting with Pride...Can I share?

(26 Posts)
KerryMum Wed 20-Jun-07 16:07:38

DS1 has been taking all these end of term tests. I'm completely unfamiliar with the system over here (Ireland) as I was born and raised in the states. But he's in 3rd class (having skipped 2nd, Classes run Jnr and Snr. Infants then 1st-6th class here at primary level) and I gather at the end of the year they have to take all these formal assessment tests (can any Irish person help me out with what they're called?).

I kept him off school on Monday because he was exhausted from travelling and chess tournament over the weekend and hadn't seen his father (he comes down once a month and was minding ds2 while we were away) who left yesterday. Well turns out he missed an exam!

I collect him from school today and he tells me that they took the geography\history\general knowledge\nature study\science exam today and again got highest score on test. I think he missed one question out of 50.

Then he tells me that all exams together he got a score of 398 out of 500. The highest in the history of the school! And that the teacher couldn't believe that he MISSED an entire exam worth 50 points and STILL got the highest mark in the history of the school. So IF he had taken the test on Monday he probably would have had a total score of around 450!

I'm going to enquire if he can sit the test he missed but he's seen the exam already as on Tuesday the boys were marking each others tests. I wonder if there's a different test they can give to him so he can make up the points he lost. I know it's great as it is but am I being silly for wanting him to have the best score he COULD have?

anyway, I'm just really proud of him for doing so well.

Please don't be mean to me!

harleyd Wed 20-Jun-07 16:09:45

well done kerrymum ds

Nip Wed 20-Jun-07 16:10:21

I bet your SUPER proud... well done KerrySon!

MarshaBrady Wed 20-Jun-07 16:10:55

thats fab! enjoy both of you!!

BarbieLovesKen Wed 20-Jun-07 16:27:34

cant blame you for bursting with pride! how lovely!!! well done to him!

sparklesandwine Wed 20-Jun-07 16:29:13

thats wonderful kerrymum well done to your DS you must be super proud of him

Budababe Wed 20-Jun-07 16:31:21

Wow KerryMum! Well done KerryDS!

(And they say Kerry men are stupid??!!!)

Desiderata Wed 20-Jun-07 16:31:38

Fantastic, KM

Tell your little lad that there's some virtual freak on MN called desi who is also extremely proud of him

AnnieAlcoholLeft Wed 20-Jun-07 16:34:11

Well done KerryMum's DS!
I don't know what the tests are called. In my day they were just 'tests'!
<<whispers>>whereabouts in Kerry are you?<<hopes it's somewhere I know>>

KerryMum Wed 20-Jun-07 16:35:33

Thanks guys!

He said to me "Did I do good mom?" in this cute little boy voice. I almost burst!

The thing is I don't pay much attention to his academics in general. I let him get on with it on his own as he's very good about that. I wasn't even aware of these exams until he was in the middle of them.

Buda - That's his American half shining through

kimi Wed 20-Jun-07 16:37:45

Yay well done kerrymums DS1.

AnnieAlcoholLeft Wed 20-Jun-07 16:39:52

Budababe, Kerry men can be very stupid, believe me! They're fine when they're young boys though, the alcohol hasn't killed off their brain cells yet!
NO OFFENCE TO ANY KERRY MEN!! (or women!)

KerryMum Wed 20-Jun-07 16:42:08

Ah but what's the expression? cute whores?

AnnieAlcoholLeft Wed 20-Jun-07 16:42:53

There is them!

Budababe Wed 20-Jun-07 16:49:40

AnnieAlcoholLeft (great name by the way) - most men can be stupid really!

Kerry doesn't have a monopoly on it but I am from Dublin and we always told jokes about Kerry men (the same way Brits tell jokes about the Irish!!)

KerryMum Wed 20-Jun-07 16:50:30

But they ARE manly men!

And the best footballers BTW!

kimi Wed 20-Jun-07 16:53:32

Kerrymum, we have such great kids, my DS1 won a story writing contest and got £50 of book tokens today

KerryMum Wed 20-Jun-07 16:54:39

That's FABULOUS Kimi! Tell him congratulations!

Budababe Wed 20-Jun-07 16:55:26

Hey KerryMum - will be down your way in 2 weeks so can check the men out for myself! Can you order in some nice weather for us - just checked the 10 day forecast for Dublin and it makes sad reading!

Are staying at Dingle Skellig for 4 nights from 1 July - really looking forward to it.

Budababe Wed 20-Jun-07 16:55:59

Wow kimi- well done your DS - LOVE book tokens!

KerryMum Wed 20-Jun-07 16:57:54

Dingle's lovely! I'm not near it (don't want to be too specific) unfortunately AND we'll be in Dublin for a chess tournament weekend after next!

Dingle is very dear though! Have you been before? You'd think a small tourist town in the middle of nowhere wouldn't be so pricey!

Budababe Thu 21-Jun-07 07:42:19

Sorry - didn't get back to thread!

Wouldn't expect you to divulge your wherabouts!

And - TBH - yes I would expect it to be pricey! Captive market and all that.

By the way - remember the thread where you mentioned the old farmers buying dog food? Well I know someone here who works for a well-known pet food company and part of his job is to taste the "mix" every morning! YUCK - but I suppose it does mean that it is suitable for humans! Must find that thread actually and update people - cod esp!

akaJamiesMum Thu 21-Jun-07 08:02:12

I'd be bursting with pride too. Well done to him - you a right to feel pleased and proud.

KerryMum Thu 21-Jun-07 09:52:09

Buda - I wouldn't mind individually telling people where I am - just don't want it posted for prosperity iykwim.

Unfortunately though we'll be away that weekend.

Dingle is nice. Are kiddies coming along or is this a long "spa" weekend?

tibsy Thu 21-Jun-07 09:58:29

what a little *

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now