Talk

Advanced search

How did your child attain the label?

(11 Posts)
minimalist99 Wed 10-Oct-18 13:28:24

I have a 3.5 DS and he's being assessed for asd he's quirky in his own wonderful way but lacks some social skills, his teachers say he's bright but I am pretty sure they just say that to make up for his poor social skills. He is not Gifted or talented in my eyes at all. He's just a quirky little 3.5 year old.

Just out of curiosity how do you know whether your child is gifted and/talented? Are they assessed by an ed psych or are at school? I am seeing alot of preschool children on mn being labelled as g&t. I am genuinely interested.

Goingonandonandon Wed 10-Oct-18 13:41:39

For us it came later as DS is not typical in his development. He reached every single milestone late (sitting, walking, pointing, talking, singing, etc). He started nursery unable to say more than three words. He was diagnosed aged 4 with something called Development Verbal Dyspraxia, and physical dyspraxia, which slowed down his ability to communicate what he knew.

His teachers started noticing his abilities in maths and his remarkable memory when he was in year 3. At home, we always knew that he was very capable, he could do very advanced puzzles when quite young, could make super cool (symmetrical) constructions from very young, would categorise his toys in order of size or shape, etc but he simply couldn't communicate his knowledge.

Now he is in year 7 and is flying in every subject (except PE).

I am aware that this is not typical and that many G&T children will show their 'differences' much younger. Other children will develop much younger and then level out.

minimalist99 Wed 10-Oct-18 21:33:10

Bump

Pandasarecute Wed 10-Oct-18 21:43:58

Came home from school with a note saying she was going to the local high school for G&T sessions in English and maths. 2 children from a class of 30 chosen. I had no idea school classed her as G&T, at the subsequent parents evening the teacher seemed to think I knew already! To be honest the maths sessions knocked her confidence as she didn't feel as "clever" as the others, plus got some teasing from peers at school - not sure labelling her was helpful at all.

Frogletmamma Thu 11-Oct-18 15:24:18

DD was top of her year in everything but never got labelled. I did a bit of tutoring at home and now she is in a super-selective. Glad really that this was the case.

OctaviaClayton Thu 11-Oct-18 21:31:40

Our child taught herself to read when she was 3. School don't believe we didn't teach her, and to be honest I don't think (m)any people do, apart from people whose children have done the same.

JustRichmal Fri 12-Oct-18 08:08:28

Our child taught herself to read when she was 3
Why did you not read books to her?

OctaviaClayton Fri 12-Oct-18 08:53:37

OK. What I mean is all we did was read books to her as I presume most parents do - we didn't try and teach her to read in any formal way - but when we met up at toddler-group things, whereas most children were essentially unable to read much at all other than their name, she was picking up books and reading them out loud so it was pretty obvious she could read.

I think their is a distinction between learning something and being taught it. I learned to use Excel, for example, because when I started working it was on my computer and I realised it could be useful, (it was a long time ago!) so I experimented it with it until I could use it. Later on, when loads of people from the department were bringing me their spreadsheets to fix, I was asked to run training days to teach them. The outcome is the same, and I'm not suggesting one is superior or inferior to the other, but the process is different, I think.

Anyway, the thread title is 'How did your child acquire the label?' and my answer was (not very well expressed) but that once she started reading books to the other kids when she was at toddler groups, the other parents with whom I was friends began to say things like 'you DD is really clever isn't she?' - I guess it doesn't massively matter if she taught herself or not to be honest, just the fact that she could read fluently at that age, regardless of how she acquired the skill.

Just for clarity, as I can't properly assess the tone of your reply (because I am also ASD, and because I'm used to people being dismissive), she has since been assessed by an Ed Psych as being on the 99.5th percentile for age. The reading was the first clue.

Frogletmamma Fri 12-Oct-18 09:07:03

Believe you Octavia
I learned to read really early off the local newspaper. My Dad used to get them for free as he was a printer. I used to read with him on his lap and ask questions about words I didn't know.

JustRichmal Fri 12-Oct-18 09:14:04

I do think that advanced ability is a combination of genetics and education. But gifted children are not a breed apart, they are just one end of a spectrum and, like all children, they need some adult input into their education when young.

Tomorrowillbeachicken Fri 12-Oct-18 13:17:30

The school pointed it out in reception, around the same time he was diagnosed with Sen. That year was a wild ride.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: