Talk

Advanced search

Chess Moms.....

(24 Posts)
KerryMum Mon 04-Jun-07 19:20:32

Hi all,

Had a thread going a while back but thought I'd start a new one. Is anyone's dc going to the British Championships this year or does anyone's child play for the Sussex team?

Not sure if this is the correct place to post but didn't want it to drop off of Chat.

KerryMum Mon 04-Jun-07 20:13:33

Bump

Hallgerda Mon 04-Jun-07 21:26:06

No, none of mine is going, but this should bump the thread for you - glad to see your DS is doing so well .

This seems as reasonable a place to post as any other, unless you reckon chess is a sport. We had a maths book appreciation thread here a while back...

KerryMum Mon 04-Jun-07 21:32:55

Hi Hallgerda - Isn't the British Championships open to all comers? That is what I was told. Anyone who wants to play can.

Hallgerda Mon 04-Jun-07 22:06:38

Yes, but I think there's a standard below which participation might prove rather depressing.

KerryMum Mon 04-Jun-07 22:09:21

How many kids do you have that play chess?

Hallgerda Tue 05-Jun-07 08:03:58

DS1 (12) and DS2 (9) both play in local tournaments (we're in Surrey for chess purposes, but that doesn't make me a Surrey Wife as we really live in South London); DS1 made it to the UK Chess Challenge gigafinal last year but not this year. DS3 (7) plays in the after-school chess club, but hasn't quite "got it" yet iyswim.

KerryMum Tue 05-Jun-07 10:09:35

Surrey - Is that Sussex? Sorry I'm completely ignorant of UK geography despite living in Ireland for 10 years!

DS1 is going to a tournament in a couple of weeks against the Sussex team. Do you know anything about them Hallgerda?

If your DS1 did so well last year I'd say bring him to the Championships! If nothing else it will be a fabulous experience for him.

Hallgerda Tue 05-Jun-07 10:31:17

Map of British counties here. Our summer holiday coincides with the British Championship, and in any event my stamina's not up to long tournaments (keeping non-playing children entertained can be difficult) so we won't be there. By the way, the Gigafinal is not quite as impressive as it sounds - the really final final is the Terafinal. I don't know any Sussex players, I'm afraid.

KerryMum Thu 07-Jun-07 16:04:46

Hallgerda - I forgot to thank you for that! Very helpful. Thanks!

I agree about the long tournaments. It's very stressful. And in the older age groups they have like one game a day! Which tbh seems like high expectations of 9 year olds.

But hell if we're going to make the trip (and if we get sponsorship for ds (which we better or we won't be coming at all) then we might as well go for the week! I'm going to enter him in a couple of sections. They said you could do that.

It would have been nice to see a friendly face!

Thunderpants Mon 24-Sep-07 11:01:04

Can I just ask why you felt the need to call this thread Chess MOMS? Are we living in America now?

KerryMum Mon 24-Sep-07 11:03:50

I called it chess moms just to annoy everyone!

Actually, I am American though I've been living in Ireland for over 10 years now. I have the odd slip-up in spellings....

Thunderpants Wed 26-Sep-07 14:17:05

ok you're forgiven then. I just really don't like all the americanisms that seem to be replacing perfectly good English words!

Hallgerda Fri 28-Sep-07 14:36:47

DS3 is playing in his first tournament tomorrow smile; DS1, DS2 and I are playing too. (DS1 might be in the same section as me - aargh!)

Spagblog Fri 28-Sep-07 14:41:27

LOL Chess Moms like Soccer Moms?
A completely different breed? grin

Hallgerda Fri 28-Sep-07 14:42:22

Yes, we are all marked in black and white squares like that friend of Elmer's.

snorkle Fri 28-Sep-07 23:02:56

Good luck Hallgerda (and your ds's too). Sounds lovely that you all have a hobby to enjoy together.

KerryMum Sat 29-Sep-07 11:35:01

Good luck to you all Hallgerda!

It will be a great experience.

Just watch out they'll be clammoring for more!

Hallgerda Sat 29-Sep-07 20:59:14

Thanks, KerryMum and snorkle. DS3 lost all his games apart from a bye, but really enjoyed the day and managed to be suitably sporting. DS1 and DS2 got rosettes. I managed a few prize blunders (shame no awards for negative brilliancy grin) but still had fun smile. Can't talk DH into joining us, sadly...

KerryMum Sat 29-Sep-07 21:29:55

Sounds like a great day. The first tournament is always tough but he sounds as though he enjoyed himself! What are rosettes?

There is another mum I see at DS's tournaments and she started playing herself because she was always bored waiting for her ds to play all the time. She keeps trying to get me to start but I'm hopeless! I think it's great that you play!

Hallgerda Sat 29-Sep-07 21:36:31

Rosettes (in these particular tournaments) are awarded to those who win 3 out of 5 (or two wins and two draws) or more. There are also nice certificates for being the best in your age group in your immediate area. (The recording pencils were a gorgeous shade of blue, but I resisted the temptation to nick one grin.)

snorkle Sat 29-Sep-07 22:14:34

grin well done to you all Hallgerda.

KerryMum Sun 30-Sep-07 11:09:30

Hallgerda - Do DS1 and DS2 play regularly? They did really well!

Hallgerda Sun 30-Sep-07 20:36:45

DS1 plays in his school chess club, which has teams that play other schools. He's in the C team- the A team has three England players, and the B team has some county players. DS2's still at primary school, has been in the chess club there (not such a high standard) for a few years and we go to a tournament about every few months or so over the winter (the summer's taken up with cricket, and there aren't so many tournaments we can all go to).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now