Talk

Advanced search

Should I do anything with DD?

(7 Posts)
Biscusting Mon 06-Aug-18 22:23:47

Apologies I’m totally naive as to what G&T actually is, but i’ve been helping my 5 year old with reading and numbers, to help reinforce what she is learning at school and i’ve noticed my 2 year old DD is quite interested in joining in.

I usually try to distract her with toys or iPad so I can get some one on one time with my five year old. But It turns out she can read numbers confidently up to 12. If she reads the number four for example, she could go and bring me four crayons and tell me that they are the same.
She’s not as interested in letters, she pretends to read books, but I don’t think she can read anything. She can sing the alphabet, but I don’t think she can identify which letters goes with which sound.

My question is really, is this just part of the wide spectrum of ‘normal’ and should I do anything to encourage her? Or just leave her to her own devices?

RoboJesus Mon 06-Aug-18 23:29:32

Let her join. There's no reason not to if she wants to. If she is gifted she may well be ready to learn at the same level as her sibling and possibly beyond. I would sit with her with a book she's never read to see if she can read at all yet. 2 is a common age to learn for gifted kids.

JustRichmal Tue 07-Aug-18 10:43:41

Educating any child will improve their ability in whatever you teach them. Find what she knows and teach her the next thing to follow on from this. Make sure you balance it with lots of play groups, trips to the park, time just to day dream, etc. and things will be fine. Also differentiate what you teach for your older dd. Nothing is more dispiriting to learning than only being at the same level as a younger sibling.

irvineoneohone Wed 08-Aug-18 23:34:14

My ds used to pretend to read the books when he can't possibly do it.
I assume my ds figured out the phonics code by running finger under the words when I was reading to him, and also watching tv with subtitles.

If she is keen to learn, I think you should encourage her. As Richmal says, give her more resources to follow up to the next step.
I have heard people say if they learn to read before school, they get bored. I don't think it's true. Reading early open up so many doors to more learning.
Maths is a bit different, they can get bored if the school/teacher has no strategy to help advanced child, but that's no reason to hinder the child who is keen to learn. You can still supplement at home, and explore even further.
So, go for it. Give her lots of educational toys to extend her. Teach her to read if she wants.
These days, it's so great you can find answer to anything. If she has question about anything, look it up. Feed her curiosity. It's quite fun raising a receptive child.

Thesearmsofmine Sat 11-Aug-18 14:09:29

I think that sounds pretty normal, my 2 year old has picked up the letter sounds and numbers through his brothers.

timeisnotaline Sat 11-Aug-18 14:15:00

Associating the number with its meaning at 2 is probably on the upper end of the spectrum but not super advanced, absolutely worth encouraging. I think memorising books and pretending to read them is pretty normal though! My ds could do both at 2 and he’s bright enough but doesn’t need anything beyond parental encouragement, games and stories.

Biscusting Sun 12-Aug-18 10:15:27

Thanks for the responses, I was concerned about her being bored later on at nursery or school, also I was more interested in her forming friendship groups as she seems more interested in her sisters friends than her peers. All normal! But just worried about things being harder for her at school.

I’ve bought her some wooden alphabet toys and clock face with removable numbers to see how she takes to it.

It is fun watching a very curious child discover things and how quickly they can pick it up!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: