Talk

Advanced search

Fun maths work books

(10 Posts)
WestWithTheSun Mon 06-Nov-17 18:43:37

DD (10) is in Year 6 and is grumbling that she is not finding the maths that she is being taught very challenging. She's asked for a work book that is fun and challenging and I want her to be a bit stretched by it but not to be getting ahead of herself. Any suggestions for a book I can get her please?

greyfriarskitty Mon 06-Nov-17 20:44:57

If you want something completely left field, have a look at Life Of Fred (American, but available from Conquest Books over here). Will definitely be very different to what she is doing at school. I also hear good things about Beast Quest, but haven't used that.

Khan Academy - free and online - might also be interesting for her.

Zhx3 Mon 06-Nov-17 20:48:58

How about this one?

This is Not a Maths Book.

JustRichmal Tue 07-Nov-17 07:37:59

What if she looked at some things in the UKMT junior maths challenge? If she then wanted to do the paper next summer it would be something to work towards. (Her school would have to arrange for her to sit it).

irvineoneohone Tue 07-Nov-17 19:02:29

grey, I think you mean beast academy, not beast quest? It's part of aops, and their videos are great.

Don't know any good work books, but I second Khan, and recommend nrich, and wildmaths

WestWithTheSun Tue 07-Nov-17 20:32:22

I've been off and had a look, and these are all great suggestions, thanks! Will get DD going with some of them and see how she gets on.

greyfriarskitty Wed 08-Nov-17 10:39:55

Ah yes, brain entirely elsewhere, sorry.

DD was recommended UKMT (rather to our surprise as we didn't have her down as a mathematician) and there are past problems at all levels online and interactive, which might also be fun.

The other thing which is great, if she has access to a tablet is Dragonbox, which teaches the principles of algebra in a game format, and is a great challenge without being remotely like work. They also did another one for geometry, but it's not quite as satisfying (I can tell you this from experience, as an adult who has finished both of them!)

heysunfish Mon 05-Feb-18 19:05:27

Have a look at Parallel by Dr Singh (Mathematical Secrets of the Simpsons etc.)
You will love it!

heysunfish Mon 05-Feb-18 19:06:40

PS Parallel is an online programme so you can google it. It's also free!

sanam2010 Thu 22-Feb-18 22:44:59

We love Beast Academy but at her age, you might as well go straight to Art of problem solving, I guess you would start with the pre-algebra textbook. You can purchase the online version and then she can read and do all their challenge problems online.
If you go to the beast academy website, go to Books 5A-D and you can print off many sample exercises for free, it would be a good way to get into it at no cost.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: